There are many variations on the roasted turkey, but this basic recipe from the Alberta Turkey Producers is a good starting point.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. If you wish to stuff your turkey, do so lightly and just before it goes into the oven. Never stuff your turkey the day or night before. Stuffing can be prepared separately in a covered baking dish. Place in the oven during the last 1/2 hour of the roasting time.
3. Place clean turkey, breast up, on a rack in a shallow pan.
4. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the inner thigh, just above, but not touching, the thigh bone.
5. Roast uncovered - or loosely covered with foil. If you choose to baste your turkey, limit the number of times you open and close your oven - once an hour is sufficient. Opening the oven will alter the length of cooking time.
6. Roast until thermometer reads 170 degrees F for an unstuffed turkey or 180 degrees F for a stuffed turkey.
7. Remove turkey when cooking is completed and let stand 15 to 20 minutes to allow the juices to set.
It's that time of year again. The holidays are upon us. From Thanksgiving to New Year's and beyond, it can be difficult to stick to any diet and exercise plan.>>
From Thanksgiving to New Year's and beyond, it can be difficult to stick to any diet and exercise plan with plates of holiday goodies floating around. But not to worry. It is possible to cheat and not pay for it later.>>