'I was just burning:' Woman caught in house fire speaks about ordeal - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I was just burning:' Woman caught in house fire speaks about ordeal

Tawnia Embree Tawnia Embree
Tawnia Embree's son Gage is believed to have started the fire while playing with a lighter Tawnia Embree's son Gage is believed to have started the fire while playing with a lighter
What remains of Embree's home following the fire What remains of Embree's home following the fire
SPOKANE, Wash. - Four days after she was badly burned in a massive house fire, a Spokane woman is speaking out about her terrifying ordeal.

The fire happened Friday, July 3 in the 5500 block of E. Commerce. Firefighters say it was caused by a boy playing with a lighter. Tawnia Embree has revealed that boy is her son.

Embree says she had lived in the home for only a few weeks and had recently done some redecorating.

The night of the fire, Embree says she woke up and could not see and heard what she thought was 'crackling.' She remembers getting up and realizing it was smokey and hot.

"I got up and saw all the flames coming from the living room," says Embree, "and you know, just called for Gage.

Gage, Embree's four-year-old son, heard his mother's calls and ran to her.

"I was calling for him... finally he started crying, I was like 'you gotta run, you gotta run to me,'" says Embree. "I saw these little legs trooping out, so I got him."

Embree and her son then made their way out of the house and to a neighbor's where emergency crews were called. That's when Embree says she felt her face start to burn. Embree estimates the entire ordeal only lasted 5 minutes, but adds the house was engulfed in flames by the time she and her son escaped.

Embree suffered burns to her face, fingers and arms and is now recovering at her mother's home on the South Hill.  

Gage escaped the fire suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns on his arms. 

Embree believes Gage found the lighter in her purse. She says he is a playful and curious child and that he has tried to bake brownies before in the middle of the night because he was hungry.

Gage has since been disciplined, but Embree says she doesn't blame her son.

She has a long road of recovery ahead having just been released from the hospital Tuesday. A fund has been set up in her name at Banner Bank.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • VIRAL VIDEO: Dog passes out from overwhelming joy at owners return

    VIRAL VIDEO: Dog passes out from overwhelming joy at owners return

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:26:12 GMT
    KHQ.COM - A woman who left her dog in the care of friends while she moved away for two years, got an unexpected and heart melting reaction from her little schnauzer, Casey, when she returned. This video has gone viral since it was posted July 24th with over 17 million views as of July 28th.>>
    KHQ.COM - A woman who left her dog in the care of friends while she moved away for two years, got an unexpected and heart melting reaction from her little schnauzer, Casey, when she returned. This video has gone viral since it was posted July 24th with over 17 million views as of July 28th.>>