Dog gets high eating marijuana in Seattle park - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Dog gets high eating marijuana in Seattle park

Posted: Updated:
11-year-old black Lab mix named Jack was "just stoned" May 12 11-year-old black Lab mix named Jack was "just stoned" May 12

SEATTLE, Wash. - It could be said that Jack, an 11-year-old black Lab mix, has learned to say no to drugs.

"He was just... stoned," said owner Jen Nestor Waddell.

Jack ran off the main trail during a visit May 12 to Seward Park on the southeast end of Lake Washington, said Nestor Waddell, but he came back in about 3 minutes.

About 3 hours later at home, Jack started exhibiting strange symptoms.

"His eyes were kind of glossed over, very out of touch, I mean, he didn't seem to recognize me at first," Nestor Waddell said. "When he was trying to walk, he was looking at his paw, and then looking at the ground and then trying to get his paw to reach the ground, but was unsuccessful."

Concern for Jack turned to relief when she heard the vet's diagnosis: Jack had swallowed a large amount of dried, harvested marijuana.

Some medication to induce vomiting, charcoal to absorb the chemicals, and a night of rest had Jack back to normal.

"I don't want this to happen to anyone else's dog, because it's scary and expensive - or a child? - so we did call the police," said Nestor Waddell, who joked: "I was going to tell the cops that they could borrow him, if they pay my vet bill, to find the marijuana, but they weren't that into chatting with me about it."

That vet bill, they said, also turned out to be a $1,500 lesson in keeping their dog on-leash while walking in the park, something they say the plan to do from now on.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Florida mom blames teen's death on confusing packaging for peanut cookies

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 1:05 PM EDT2018-07-17 17:05:08 GMT

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>

    A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.    Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label.  

    >>
  • Evacuations remain in place as Upriver/Beacon Hill Fire grows to 120 acres; 2 homes lost

    Evacuations remain in place as Upriver/Beacon Hill Fire grows to 120 acres; 2 homes lost

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:54 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:54:44 GMT

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>

    Fire crews are battling a large brush fire near Upriver Drive. The fire near Felts Field forced Level 3 evacuations for people South of Valley Springs, East of Minnehaha and north of Upriver. KHQ has learned one home has been lost, while another is involved. This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

    >>
  • Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Spokane Valley massage parlor under investigation for sex trafficking

    Monday, July 16 2018 9:43 PM EDT2018-07-17 01:43:51 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol is investigating a Spokane Valley massage parlor for sex trafficking and prostitution. According to court documents, several men contacted authorities about the parlor, Space Oil Massage, and told them that the women who worked there asked them in private to call 911 because they were being forced to perform sex acts against their will.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/