'I was just burning:' Woman caught in house fire speaks about ordeal - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I was just burning:' Woman caught in house fire speaks about ordeal

Posted: Updated:
Tawnia Embree Tawnia Embree
Tawnia Embree's son Gage is believed to have started the fire while playing with a lighter Tawnia Embree's son Gage is believed to have started the fire while playing with a lighter
What remains of Embree's home following the fire What remains of Embree's home following the fire
SPOKANE, Wash. - Four days after she was badly burned in a massive house fire, a Spokane woman is speaking out about her terrifying ordeal.

The fire happened Friday, July 3 in the 5500 block of E. Commerce. Firefighters say it was caused by a boy playing with a lighter. Tawnia Embree has revealed that boy is her son.

Embree says she had lived in the home for only a few weeks and had recently done some redecorating.

The night of the fire, Embree says she woke up and could not see and heard what she thought was 'crackling.' She remembers getting up and realizing it was smokey and hot.

"I got up and saw all the flames coming from the living room," says Embree, "and you know, just called for Gage.

Gage, Embree's four-year-old son, heard his mother's calls and ran to her.

"I was calling for him... finally he started crying, I was like 'you gotta run, you gotta run to me,'" says Embree. "I saw these little legs trooping out, so I got him."

Embree and her son then made their way out of the house and to a neighbor's where emergency crews were called. That's when Embree says she felt her face start to burn. Embree estimates the entire ordeal only lasted 5 minutes, but adds the house was engulfed in flames by the time she and her son escaped.

Embree suffered burns to her face, fingers and arms and is now recovering at her mother's home on the South Hill.  

Gage escaped the fire suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns on his arms. 

Embree believes Gage found the lighter in her purse. She says he is a playful and curious child and that he has tried to bake brownies before in the middle of the night because he was hungry.

Gage has since been disciplined, but Embree says she doesn't blame her son.

She has a long road of recovery ahead having just been released from the hospital Tuesday. A fund has been set up in her name at Banner Bank.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Coeur d'Alene Police investigating school shooting threat made on Snapchat

    Coeur d'Alene Police investigating school shooting threat made on Snapchat

    Friday, October 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-10-19 05:04:39 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police are investigating a reported school shooting threat at Coeur d'Alene High School. A spokesperson for the district said that the threat was written on a napkin and shared  on Snapchat. It says: "CHS school shooting 10-19-18. Be ready." Police tell us that while they are still investigating whether the threat is credible, they do not believe the CHS that the note mentions is referring to Coeur d'Alene High School.

    >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police are investigating a reported school shooting threat at Coeur d'Alene High School. A spokesperson for the district said that the threat was written on a napkin and shared  on Snapchat. It says: "CHS school shooting 10-19-18. Be ready." Police tell us that while they are still investigating whether the threat is credible, they do not believe the CHS that the note mentions is referring to Coeur d'Alene High School.

    >>
  • Explosive device that caused CdA evacuations rendered safe

    Explosive device that caused CdA evacuations rendered safe

    Friday, October 19 2018 6:51 PM EDT2018-10-19 22:51:23 GMT

    Ramsey Elementary and Coeur d' Alene Police station have been evacuated after an explosive device was brought to the station for disposal. Police have called in a bomb squad to dispose of the device and evacuated the buildings as a precaution. Coeur d' Alene School District released the following statement regarding the situation: 

    >>

    Ramsey Elementary and Coeur d' Alene Police station have been evacuated after an explosive device was brought to the station for disposal. Police have called in a bomb squad to dispose of the device and evacuated the buildings as a precaution. Coeur d' Alene School District released the following statement regarding the situation: 

    >>
  • K9 Laslo passes away

    K9 Laslo passes away

    Friday, October 19 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-10-20 02:50:33 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - After struggling with medical issues recently, retired Spokane County Sheriff's Office K9 Laslo passed away early Friday morning.  "It is with the most heavy heart that I tell you K9 Laslo passed away this morning at 0115hrs," a post on Laslo's Facebook page said Friday morning. "There will be a piece of my heart always missing. To the best partner I ever had, R.I.P." 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - After struggling with medical issues recently, retired Spokane County Sheriff's Office K9 Laslo passed away early Friday morning.  "It is with the most heavy heart that I tell you K9 Laslo passed away this morning at 0115hrs," a post on Laslo's Facebook page said Friday morning. "There will be a piece of my heart always missing. To the best partner I ever had, R.I.P." 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/