At least one displaced in lightning-sparked house fire
DEER PARK, Wash.- At least one person has been displaced from his home following a lightning-sparked house fire in Deer Park. According to firefighters on scene, the fire broke out around 2:00 Friday morning at 1414 Bridges Road during that severe thunderstorm that rolled through the Inland Northwest.
The homeowner was alone at the time of the fire. He says it woke him up and he immediately started smelling smoke. By the time fire crews arrived on scene the fire had spread into the walls and attic. They say they had a difficult time fighting the fire because all the lightning activity kept them from getting on the roof.
But after about an hour, they managed to get the fire under control with no injuries to any firefighters or the homeowner. Fire Captain Howard Johnson also says they were able to save most of the man's possessions.
The fire seriously damaged the home and the lightning itself broke a window. The home is not safe to stay in right now. It's not clear where the homeowner will be staying, but he says his sister recently moved out of his house to another place nearby.