Wash. bans Capitol holiday displays, tree to stay - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Wash. bans Capitol holiday displays, tree to stay

Posted: Updated:

OLYMPIA, Wash. - The Christmas tree can stay, but no more Nativity scene.

That's the word from Washington's Capitol, where protests erupted last winter over competing private holiday displays.

The furor focused on an atheist placard, which said that religion was "myth and superstition." It was stolen and recovered and hundreds came to a protest rally.

The atheists were responding to a private Nativity scene, which was set up next to a long-standing Christmas tree, but a new temporary rule announced Monday says private groups can't leave behind any displays after they're done with a demonstration.

The so-called "Holiday Tree" will stay, because the state is taking it over from the previous sponsors. Officials hope to have a permanent rule in place later this year.

Previous Coverage

(12/1/08) An atheist placard has joined a "holiday tree" and Christian Nativity scene on display in the state Capitol.

The atheist sign was unveiled Monday by Washington members of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. It reads, in part, "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

The state Capitol has displayed a holiday tree for years, sponsored by the Association of Washington Business. The Nativity scene was first put on display last year by an Olympia real estate agent.

A menorah marking the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah also has been displayed in years past.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • "My son was just gone": mother of kidnapped baby speaks out about online danger

    "My son was just gone": mother of kidnapped baby speaks out about online danger

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 12:30 AM EST2017-11-21 05:30:18 GMT
    Police say Fern Littlecalf kidnapped a babyPolice say Fern Littlecalf kidnapped a baby

    SPOKANE, Wash.- The mother of a 6-month old baby who was kidnapped as part of an elaborate online scam is speaking out, urging everyone to be careful who they meet on the internet.  Lekeisha Johnson, from Kennewick, says she thought she'd been in a relationship with a man for weeks, but then she found out that her supposed boyfriend never existed in the first place. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash.- The mother of a 6-month old baby who was kidnapped as part of an elaborate online scam is speaking out, urging everyone to be careful who they meet on the internet.  Lekeisha Johnson, from Kennewick, says she thought she'd been in a relationship with a man for weeks, but then she found out that her supposed boyfriend never existed in the first place. 

    >>
  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
  • Seattle budget includes money for safe-injection site

    Seattle budget includes money for safe-injection site

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:46 AM EST2017-11-21 16:46:49 GMT

    SEATTLE, Wash. - The Seattle City Council has passed a 2018 budget that includes $1.3 million to create what could be the nation's first authorized safe-injection site for drug users. The Seattle Times reports that the $5.6 billion budget approved Monday also increases city spending on programs that address homelessness to $63 million, a nearly 40 percent jump over four years ago. 

    >>

    SEATTLE, Wash. - The Seattle City Council has passed a 2018 budget that includes $1.3 million to create what could be the nation's first authorized safe-injection site for drug users. The Seattle Times reports that the $5.6 billion budget approved Monday also increases city spending on programs that address homelessness to $63 million, a nearly 40 percent jump over four years ago. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/