3 men accused of helping Clemmons ordered held - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

3 men accused of helping Clemmons ordered held

Posted: Updated:
Maurice Clemmons Maurice Clemmons

TACOMA, Wash. - Three men accused of helping Maurice Clemmons get away after four Lakewood police officers were shot to death Sunday have appeared before a Pierce County Superior Court judge.

NEW>> Clemmons' Arkansas prison history and Washington supervision history
NEW>> Department of Corrections e-mail correspondence regarding Clemmons

Eddie Davis and Douglas Davis both pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of first-degree rendering criminal assistance. Judge Bryan Chushcoff set bail for Eddie Davis at $700,000 and bail for Douglas Davis at $500,000.
Clemmons' half brother, Ricky Hinton, has not been charged yet, but has been booked into jail for investigation of rendering criminal assistance. Chushcoff set his bail at $2 million.
Clemmons was killed early Tuesday by a Seattle police officer.

Story continues below...

Ricky Hinton, Eddie Lee Davis, Douglas Edward Davis

Police: Getaway driver was jailed with Clemmons

Pierce County authorities say a man who served time in an Arkansas prison with Maurice Clemmons has been identified as the getaway driver in the fatal shooting of four Lakewood police officers.
Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says Darcus D. Allen is being held in Pierce County for investigation of rendering criminal assistance. Troyer says Allen will be charged on Wednesday in connection with Sunday's police shooting.
Allen was sentenced to 25 years in prison for a 1990 double murder at a Little Rock liquor store. He was paroled in 2004.
Arkansas prison spokeswoman Dina Tyler says Allen and Clemmons never shared a cell, but lived in the same barracks, along with 50-100 other inmates, at various times during their imprisonment.
Clemmons, accused of gunning down the officers in a coffee shop, was killed early Tuesday by a Seattle police officer who found the suspect in a stolen vehicle on a Seattle street.

Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel says 37-year-old Maurice Clemmons was killed about 2:45 a.m. Tuesday. Pugel says the officer found the car, which had been recently stolen, recognized Clemmons and ordered him to show his hands and stop. Pugel says Clemmons wouldn't stop and the officer fired several rounds.
A couple dozen police officers milled around at the scene, shaking hands and patting each other on the back later Tuesday morning.
Authorities say Clemmons singled out the Lakewood officers and spared others at a coffee shop Sunday morning in Parkland, about 35 miles south of Seattle.

More arrests planned after police kill suspect in officer slayings

More arrests are expected in Seattle, where a man suspected of gunning down four police officers has been shot to death.
A spokesman for the Pierce County sheriff says six or seven people could be in custody by the end of Tuesday for allegedly helping Maurice Clemmons while he was on the run from police.

Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says some are friends and relatives, others "partners in crime."
Police say Clemmons was fatally shot early Tuesday by a lone patrolman investigating a stolen car. He was wanted in the Sunday morning shooting deaths of four uniformed officers at coffee shop in the Tacoma suburb of Parkland.
Police say Clemmons was carrying a handgun taken from one of the dead officers.
Four people have already been arrested. Yesterday, officers detained a sister of Clemmons who is suspected of treating a gunshot wound inflicted by one of the fatally wounded officers.
Police theorize that Clemmons targeted the coffee shop because it was frequented by police.

Tacoma Dome memorial Dec. 8 for slain officers...
A memorial to honor the four Lakewood police officers who were shot to death at a Parkland coffee shop will be held at 1 p.m. Dec. 8 in the Tacoma Dome.
Pierce County officials expect more than 20,000 law officers, emergency responders and members of the public to attend.

Sister of officer killed releases statement

Tuesday, Tiffiny Ryan, whose sister, Officer Tina Griswold was among the four Lakewood police officers killed, issued a statement after learning Clemmons had been shot and killed by a lone Seattle police officer.

The following is Ryan's statement:

"When I received a phone call this morning at 5:44 a.m. from Chief Kirkpatrick, I felt relieved.  I was relieved to hear that the officer that shot Maurice Clemmons was ok. I was relieved that no other police officers or citizens had been hurt. I was full of gratitude toward that Seattle Police Officer for doing his job and keeping us safe. We didn't realize it before, but we needed Clemmons to be caught for us to move on.  Now my family can begin to mourn the death of my sister."

Ryan and her family are traveling to Lakewood Tuesday afternoon.