Knox convicted, sentenced to 26 years in Italy - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Knox convicted, sentenced to 26 years in Italy

The sentence is read in the court in Perugia The sentence is read in the court in Perugia
  • Also on KHQ.comMore>>

  • INSIDE: Live streaming video

    Verdict to be announced in Amanda Knox case

    Verdict to be announced in Amanda Knox case

    PERUGIA, Italy. - A verdict is set to be announced in the case of Amanda Knox, the American student who's on trial in Italy for the brutal murder of her British roommate.>>
    PERUGIA, Italy. - A verdict is set to be announced in the case of Amanda Knox, the American student who's on trial in Italy for the brutal murder of her British roommate. After 11 hours of deliberations, court officials said the verdict would come at 6 p.m., Eastern time. A verdict will also come for her Italian co-defendant, her former boyfriend. The jury began deliberating today on whether Knox is guilty and should spend the rest of her life behind bars.>>

PERUGIA, Italy. - A jury in Italy has convicted Seattle college student Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate and sentenced her to 26 years in prison.
     
Her Italian ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also convicted and sentenced to 25 years.
     
The 22-year-old Knox and 25-year-old Sollecito were charged with murder and sexual assault in the slaying of Meredith Kercher more than two years ago. All three were studying in Perugia in Italy's central Umbria region at the time.
     
Kercher's body was found in a pool of blood with her throat slit on November 2, 2007, in the bedroom of the house she shared with Knox.

Prosecutors contended the 21-year-old Leeds University student was murdered the previous night.
     
Knox and Sollecito had been jailed since shortly after the slaying.
     
The prosecutors contend on the night of the murder, Knox and Sollecito met at the apartment where Kercher and Knox lived. They say a fourth person was there, Rudy Hermann Guede, an Ivory Coast citizen who has been convicted in the murder and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Guede, who is appealing his conviction, says he was in the house the night of the murder but did not kill Kercher.

Family of Amanda Knox vows to continue the fight

Relatives of Amanda Knox vowed to do whatever it takes to continue her fight after the Seattle woman was convicted Friday by a jury in Italy.
     
A group of three relatives and four friends crowded onto a couch and clasped hands Friday afternoon as they watched TV and waited for the verdict. Her uncle, Mick Huff, cried, "Oh God, no" when it was announced.
     
Her aunt, Janet Huff, said she and her husband would probably have to sell their house to help pay for legal fees and the family's repeated trips to Italy.

Knox family statement

Knox's family issued a statement following the verdict:

We are extremely disappointed in the verdict rendered today against our daughter.  While we always knew this was a possibility, we find it difficult to accept this verdict when we know that she is innocent, and that the prosecution has failed to explain why there is no evidence of Amanda in the room where Meredith was so horribly and tragically murdered.  It appears clear to us that the attacks on Amanda's character in much of the media and by the prosecution had a significant impact on the judges and jurors and apparently overshadowed the lack of evidence in the prosecution's case against her.

We want to thank the excellent work by Amanda's attorneys, Carlo Dalla Vedova, Luciano Ghirga and Maria Del Grosso, who successfully showed there was no credible evidence against Amanda and who fought hard on her behalf.  

We also want to thank the many supporters both in Seattle and around the world who have contacted us with their support of Amanda and of us.  We ask for their continued support.

We will immediately begin the process of appealing this verdict.  Amanda is innocent and we will continue to fight for her freedom.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Attempted copper theft leads to damage at Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels

    Attempted copper theft leads to damage at Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 2:04 AM EDT2017-08-22 06:04:38 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A local organization on a mission to do good was hit with some pretty bad damage. The assistant director of Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels says he woke up to a security alert early Sunday morning and what he found baffled him. "Somebody had attempted to steal some copper piping by ripping the spigot out of the side of the wall," said Mark Laskowski, the Assistant Director with Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A local organization on a mission to do good was hit with some pretty bad damage. The assistant director of Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels says he woke up to a security alert early Sunday morning and what he found baffled him. "Somebody had attempted to steal some copper piping by ripping the spigot out of the side of the wall," said Mark Laskowski, the Assistant Director with Greater Spokane County Meals on Wheels.

    >>
  • Security cameras catch stranger touching himself in Spokane woman's backyard

    Security cameras catch stranger touching himself in Spokane woman's backyard

    Sunday, August 20 2017 8:27 PM EDT2017-08-21 00:27:40 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - One family is absolutely shocked after what they found a man doing in their backyard. Denise says she was at home doing her nails, when her daughter Jenay took the dog outside to go to the bathroom. “The dog charged and chased something out of the yard,” she says. They noticed a shadow so they went to review the surveillance video. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - One family is absolutely shocked after what they found a man doing in their backyard. Denise says she was at home doing her nails, when her daughter Jenay took the dog outside to go to the bathroom. “The dog charged and chased something out of the yard,” she says. They noticed a shadow so they went to review the surveillance video. 

    >>
  • Florida man busted for stealing a car while watching eclipse

    Florida man busted for stealing a car while watching eclipse

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 12:47 AM EDT2017-08-22 04:47:40 GMT

    KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Orange County Sheriff's Office in Florida reports a man got busted for stealing a vehicle Monday and was taken into custody while he was watching the solar eclipse.  Officers say 22-year-old Jocsan Feliciano Rosado stole a car Monday and was being followed by deputies when he stopped at a store to buy a welder's helmet in order to safely view the eclipse.

    >>

    KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Orange County Sheriff's Office in Florida reports a man got busted for stealing a vehicle Monday and was taken into custody while he was watching the solar eclipse.  Officers say 22-year-old Jocsan Feliciano Rosado stole a car Monday and was being followed by deputies when he stopped at a store to buy a welder's helmet in order to safely view the eclipse.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/