UN says rescue workers arriving, still can't reach and help surv - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

UN says rescue workers arriving, still can't reach and help survivors

 

















PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti. - The U.N. says rescue workers and relief goods are pouring into Haiti from around the world, but aid workers are running into huge problems reaching people trapped under buildings or feeding hungry survivors.
     
U.N. spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs called quake-hit Haiti a logistical nightmare.
     
The World Food Program said Thursday that damage to Haiti's port in the capital Port-au-Prince is preventing ship deliveries to quake-struck region. It said the city's airport is open but straining to handle dozens of incoming flights of supplies and rescuers.
     
Desperate quake survivors, fearing more temblors, are also standing in the middle of roads and slowing the transport of food and other crucial aid.
     
The World Health Organization said heavy damage to at least eight Port-au-Prince hospitals is slowing doctors' ability to treat the thousands of injured.

Obama says US stands with Haiti


President Barack Obama says "one of the largest relief efforts in our recent history" is moving toward Haiti. Some U.S. resources already are on the ground providing water and medicine, search and rescue efforts and airlifts of the injured.
     
Speaking to reporters Thursday at the White House, Obama said the U.S. government is making an initial investment of $100 million for the earthquake relief effort in Haiti. He said the amount would grow over the year.


Story continues below...




















(An injured man is carried in Port-au-Prince after a 7.0 magnitude
earthquake on January 12, 2010)


He said it will take hours "maybe days" to get the full U.S. relief contingent on the ground, because of the damaged roads, airport, port and communications. He acknowledged that "none of this will seem quick enough" to the many suffering.
     
To the Haitians, Obama promised: "You will not be forsaken." He told them that America, and the world, "stands with you."

82nd Airborne troops headed to Haiti for quake aid

More U.S. forces are getting under way as the military ramps up its mission to help earthquake victims in Haiti.
     
An advance group of a little over 100 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division will leave Fort Bragg in North Carolina Thursday.

The Army says the group will find locations to set up tents and other essentials in preparation for the arrival of another several hundred from the division on Friday.
     
The soldiers come on top of some 2,200 Marines also on their way as the military prepares to help with security, search and rescue and the delivery of humanitarian supplies.

Chinese relief plane arrives in Haiti, British help near

A jet chartered by China and said to be carrying 10 tons of emergency supplies has arrived in Haiti.
     
Also aboard was a 60-member earthquake relief team. Three French planes have also arrived, with aid and a mobile hospital and British officials say rescue workers they sent are now in
neighboring Dominican Republic. They're expected to reach Haiti late this evening.
     
This afternoon, the American aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson is expected off the Haitian coast to help with earthquake relief. More U.S. Navy ships are under way, including one carrying 2,000 Marines who may help provide support and security.
     
So far, the demand for aid of all kinds is far outstripping supply. One doctor's assistant says, "This is much worse than a hurricane." He says there's no water and "Thirsty people are going to die."

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
  • E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    Monday, November 19 2018 1:23 PM EST2018-11-19 18:23:43 GMT

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>
  • Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 2:08 AM EST2018-11-20 07:08:59 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/