McChord cargo planes, crews aid Haiti relief - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

McChord cargo planes, crews aid Haiti relief

MCCHORD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. - Three C-17 cargo planes from McChord Air Force Base are carrying relief supplies to Haiti and evacuating some earthquake victims back to the United States.
     
The Air Force says the third C-17 departed McChord Sunday, following two of the planes that left earlier in the day. They picked up bottled water and other supplies and emergency relief teams from Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.; Langley Air Force Base, Virginia; and Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina.
     
In addition, the Air Force says two McChord crews are flying other C-17s from Charleston.
     
The C-17 can carry up to 85 tons of cargo.

Line of people at embassy wanting out of Haiti

As more troops, doctors and aid workers flow into Haiti, people are lining up at the U.S. embassy hoping to get out.
     
Hundreds of American citizens, and people claiming to be from the U.S., are outside the embassy in Port-Au-Prince waving their identification papers, hoping to get on a flight out of the earthquake ravaged country.
     
The Pan American Health Organization estimates between 50,000 and 100,000 people died in the earthquake six days ago.
     
The local director of World Food Program says her group is planning a tent camp for 100,000 people on the outskirts of the capital to provide shelter to at least some of the homeless earthquake victims.
     
Frustration over the slow delivery of food and medical supplies is on the increase in the streets of the capital.
    
Financial pledges continue to grow, with the European Union pledge today topping $500 million, and France saying it's willing to forgive Haiti's debt of more than $55 million.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
  • E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    Monday, November 19 2018 1:23 PM EST2018-11-19 18:23:43 GMT

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>
  • Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 2:08 AM EST2018-11-20 07:08:59 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/