2nd assault trial for King County deputy - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

2nd assault trial for King County deputy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Schene was fired after striking the girl who had been arrested for
investigation of auto theft)


SEATTLE, Wash. - The second assault trial for a King County sheriff's deputy who beat a 15-year-old girl in a SeaTac jail cell is set for June 1.
     
The date was set Tuesday at a hearing in King County Superior Court.
     
A mistrial was declared last month in the first trial of Paul Schene with one juror refusing to go along with others who wanted to convict.
     
Schene says he was following training to subdue the girl in November 2008 after the car theft suspect kicked a shoe at him. The beating was caught on jail surveillance video.
     
Schene was fire last September for using excessive force.

Previous Coverage
Mistrial in case of former King County deputy

(January 22, 2010)

A King County Superior Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a former sheriff's deputy who was videotaped beating a 15-year-old girl in a jail cell, after jurors said they were unable to reach a verdict.
     
The 12-member jury had been deliberating since Wednesday afternoon.
     
Former deputy Paul Schene displayed no visible reaction as the judge declared the mistrial Friday. Prosecutors quickly announced that they will retry the case.
     
Schene was charged with fourth-degree assault for kicking, tackling and punching 15-year-old Malika Calhoun after she kicked her shoe toward him as he was exiting a holding cell in SeaTac in November 2008.
     
Schene said he followed training in restraining the car theft suspect. He was fired last September from his job as a deputy.
     
Prosecutors say the video speaks for itself.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
  • E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    Monday, November 19 2018 1:23 PM EST2018-11-19 18:23:43 GMT

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>
  • Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 2:08 AM EST2018-11-20 07:08:59 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/