Hoopfest Teams Procrastinate to Check-in - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Right Now:

34°
  • (Feels like 34°)
  • Clear

Today:

  • 44° |
  • 34°

7-Day Forecast

Hoopfest 2010

Hoopfest Teams Procrastinate to Check-in

By Thursday, only 20 percent of participants had checked in, well below the yearly average (Photo: KHQ / SWX) By Thursday, only 20 percent of participants had checked in, well below the yearly average (Photo: KHQ / SWX)
  • Also on KHQ.comMore>>

  • Interactive Radar

    HD Doppler 6i

    Watch the weather as it happens with KHQ's HD Doppler 6i Interactive Radar! >>
    Watch the weather as it happens with KHQ's HD Doppler 6i Interactive Radar! >>
  • Hoopfest 2010

    Hoopfest ready to take over downtown city streets

    Hoopfest ready to take over downtown city streets

    (Photo: KHQ / SWX)(Photo: KHQ / SWX)
    SPOKANE, Wash. - With time winding down until the tipoff of the largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world, organizers in Spokane are planning for a slam dunk-type of event.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - With time winding down until the tipoff of the largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world, organizers in Spokane are planning for a slam dunk-type of event. Basketball enthusiasts from all over the country are pouring into Spokane this week. Organizers said 2010 could be the biggest Hoopfest ever, with more than 200,000 players making up more than 6,700 teams.>>
  • Hoopfest Countdown: Get Your Brackets!

    Hoopfest Countdown: Get Your Brackets!

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Your Hoopfest Brackets are available today! Of course Hoopfest 2010 is this weekend!>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Your Hoopfest Brackets are now available! Of course Hoopfest 2010 is this weekend! Online brackets are subject to change. Official brackets can be received at team check in with team packets!>>
  • Hoopfest 2010

    Gonzaga players to sign autographs at Hoopfest

    Gonzaga players to sign autographs at Hoopfest

    (Photo: SWX)(Photo: SWX)
    With mere hours until downtown Spokane transforms itself into a venue for the largest 3-on-3 street basketball tournament in the world, Gonzaga fans can celebrate another little tidbit...>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - With mere hours until downtown Spokane transforms itself into a venue for the largest 3-on-3 street basketball tournament in the world, Gonzaga fans can celebrate another little tidbit: several Zag players will be on hand to meet, greet, and sign autographs.>>

by Kevin Randall
KHQ Reporter

SPOKANE, Wash. - The worlds largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament is less than 48 hours away. A record number of teams have signed up for Hoopfest, but so far few have checked in.

Usually by Thursday there are about 40 percent of the teams check in and ready to play. As of Thursday only 20 percent  of the teams have checked in.

On Thursday at the team check-in tent at Riverfront Park, very few lines were visible with players picking up their packets of information and T-Shirts. With only 20 percent checked-in, that of course means the remaining 80 percent will need to check-in on Friday, and they'll only have 8 hours to do it. That's roughly 5,500 teams out of the near 7,000 rushing to get it done before the deadline.

Hoopfest officials say the low number of check-ins may be due to the amount of information available online which in years past was only available when teams checked in. They also say more than half of the people participating in Hoopfest are from out of town, and probably won't arrive until Friday.

Volunteers say they can't stress enough how important it is to arrive at check-in early. Officials tell us check-in time continues at 11:00 a.m. Friday morning and ends at 7:00 p.m. Friday evening.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/