Couscous with chicken, citrus, & scallions
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- ½ pound chicken breast, sliced
- 4 scallions (green onions), diced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup canned mandrin oranges, drained and rinsed - ½ grapefruit, peeled and sliced into small pieces, with pith removed
- 1 5.7 oz. box cous cous, cooked (follow instructions on box)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted*
In a large pan on medium-high heat, heat oil and then add chicken slices. Brown them lightly on all sides. Making sure they're cooked throughout, remove them and set aside. Add scallions to pan and saute them for 5-10 minutes until tender. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in orange segments, grapefruit segments, and chicken, and simmer for 5 minutes until all ingredients are heated throughout. Add cooked cous cous and stir well. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, and serve.
*To toast almonds, spread them in a small pan and bake them at 350 F. for just 5-6 minutes, stirring once, until they have developed a pale brown color.
Nutritional analysis: Calories: 550 Kcal, Fat: 7.1 g, Cholesterol: 67 mg, Fiber: 6.1 g, Sodium: 123 mg, % Calories form Fat: 12%
Courtesy of www.5aday.com
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.