New Report Cites Hazards Involving Button Batteries
CHICAGO (AP) - A new medical report says that swallowing button batteries can be fatal or cause serious harm. Research also suggests that severe injuries in children in
connection with button batteries are increasing, although they are still relatively scarce.
These findings are highlighted in a report about 10 cases at a Utah hospital, including seven that caused severe damage. The research also delves into last week's recall of more than 1 million
Chuck E. Cheese battery-containing toys.
There are no reports of children injured by the Chuck E. Cheese toys, but the toys were recalled because swallowing batteries can be so dangerous.
Button batteries are widely used in dozens of household products including toys, games, remote controls, musical greeting cards, cell phones, watches and lighted shoes. Batteries pose a special
swallowing risk. Even if they don't completely block the throat, they can trigger a chemical process when they lodge there that can burn through tissue within just a few hours.
Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>