WARNING: “Death Cap” Mushroom Poisoning Reported
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE: Local health officials are warning people looking for mushrooms to exercise caution after a case of poisoning from the Amanita phalloides species of mushroom was reported in Washington state.
A Bellevue woman was hospitalized last month after eating the poisonous mushroom; she has since recovered.
"It takes extensive knowledge to know which mushrooms are safe to eat and which are poisonous," said Dr. David Fleming, Director and Health Officer for Public Health - Seattle & King County. "
Amanita phalloides look very much like some edible types of mushrooms and increasingly can be found in the wild, in local parks, and even in our own backyards. Only people who really
know what they're doing should eat mushrooms they've picked themselves."
The Amanita phalloides, sometimes called "death cap" mushrooms, are highly toxic. They cannot be distinguished from safe mushrooms using taste or smell. Symptoms of poisoning by these mushrooms include abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. The first symptoms usually start within 6 to 24 hours of ingestion. Poisoning may result in damage to the liver and other vital organs, or even death.
Although cases of poisoning from Amanita phalloides have been reported in Portland and British Columbia, the poisonous mushrooms were thought to be rare in Washington state until recently. There have been increasing numbers of the mushrooms spotted this fall, perhaps due to the wet weather.
"Mushroom poisonings are almost always caused by people eating wild mushrooms collected by nonspecialists," said Dr. William Hurley, Medical Director for Washington Poison Center. "People hunting for wild mushrooms – especially novices – might misidentify a toxic species. Or recent immigrants might mistake a poisonous mushroom for an edible mushroom from their native land. In fact, the reported cases of poisoning by Amanita phalloides in the Northwest have been immigrants from Thailand, Cambodia and Laos."
The Puget Sound Mycological Society offers mushroom identification clinics for the public on Mondays from 4-7 p.m. at the University of Washington's Center for Urban Horticulture through the end of October. Visit http://www.psms.org or call (206)522-6031 for more information.
If you suspect you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom, do not wait for
symptoms to appear. Call Washington Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 right away.
Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The Spokane Human Rights Commission plan to apologize to the sheriff's office for a comment one of its official made on social media regarding newly hired deputies. Vice chairwoman Ashley Torres shared a post on Facebook announcing seven new Spokane County sheriff's deputies and commented on the lack of diversity in the force.>>
COCOA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities in Florida say a group of teens watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond last week. Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 9. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens recorded the 31-year-old's drowning on video. The video was released by the state attorney's office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today.>>
A Kansas makeup artist says she won a national contest sponsored by Kat Von D Beauty but was later was disqualified because of her Instagram post supporting Donald Trump's presidential candidacy. The Wichita Eagle reports screenshots taken by Gypsy Freeman of Wichita show she won the Instagram contest last month.>>
SPOKANE, Wash. - "He was my youngest, he was my baby bear," Tina Myer said about her son that was killed by a distracted driver. It was a distracted driver that killed Tina Myer's son Cody, hitting the 23-year-old as he was working as a flagger at a construction site in December 2015. He suffered severe injuries, and died several months later. Now Myer is joining Governor Inslee, praising a new DUI-E law.>>
SPOKANE, Wash. - Washington State Patrol reports the Snag fire burning south of Spokane is 50 percent contained as of Saturday evening. Crews are expected to be on the scene of the fire through the night Saturday.>>
PONDERAY, Idaho - Bonner County Emergency Management reports a multi-vehicle crash closed Highway 95 in both direction Sunday afternoon. The Bonner County Sheriff's Office reports the highway is closed at milepost 490 near Elmira Road, about 11 miles north of Ponderay, while investigators gather evidence and interview witnesses.>>