Schwartz: Air Force Ready To Respond To Korea Attack - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Schwartz: Air Force Ready To Respond To Korea Attack

AIRFORCETIMES.COM - The Air Force stands ready to respond if hostilities between North Korea and South Korea escalate, the service's top uniformed officer said, but American fighter jets remained at their normal alert status a day after a North Korean artillery attack.

The North fired artillery shells at the island of Yeonpyeong on Tuesday, killing two people and dramatically raising tensions between American-allied South Korea and the nuclear-armed north.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz, in a meeting with reporters later that morning, said his service has plenty of firepower in the region and listed the bases from which the service could send planes for a response: Osan Air Base and Kunsan Air Base in South Korea, Kadena Air Base on Okinawa, bases on mainland Japan and bases in the Pacific.

"The bottom line is that U.S. Forces-Korea certainly is monitoring the situation carefully," he said. "[Commander Gen. Skip Sharp] has operational control of Air Force assets on that reside on the peninsula and can be augmented if required."

Schwartz said the South Korean air force, which had eight F-15s flying combat air patrols, was leading in the air response.

He declined to give his opinion about the idea of sending tactical nuclear weapons to the Korean peninsula, an issue raised earlier this week by South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-yong. The U.S. removed its tactical nukes from South Korea in 1991.

Schwartz said the issue had not been discussed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, but any advice he has would be offered confidentially to Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen.

"The bottom line is, we have substantial capability on the peninsula and in the immediate environments to sustain a very credible deterrent posture," Schwartz said.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Cheney teacher's Twitter thread on letting student sleep goes viral

    Cheney teacher's Twitter thread on letting student sleep goes viral

    Monday, May 21 2018 9:34 PM EDT2018-05-22 01:34:14 GMT

    CHENEY, Wash. - A Cheney High School English teacher let a student sleep in his class last week and the thread on Twitter describing the reason has gone viral.  Monte Syrie tweeted the reason he let the student, Meg, sleep in class last week and the thread caught the attention of many.  The thread reads in its entirety here: 

    >>

    CHENEY, Wash. - A Cheney High School English teacher let a student sleep in his class last week and the thread on Twitter describing the reason has gone viral.  Monte Syrie tweeted the reason he let the student, Meg, sleep in class last week and the thread caught the attention of many.  The thread reads in its entirety here: 

    >>
  • Friends remember Spokane man fatally stabbed

    Friends remember Spokane man fatally stabbed

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 2:05 AM EDT2018-05-22 06:05:55 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash.- Friends and family are devastated and heartbroken over the death of 28-year-old Corey Ward, who was stabbed and slashed by a killer. Ward did not survive and so far, Spokane police haven't made any arrests. It happened on May 17 just before midnight in the 2400 block of West Cleveland in Northwest Spokane.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash.- Friends and family are devastated and heartbroken over the death of 28-year-old Corey Ward, who was stabbed and slashed by a killer. Ward did not survive and so far, Spokane police haven't made any arrests. It happened on May 17 just before midnight in the 2400 block of West Cleveland in Northwest Spokane.

    >>
  • Florida man climbs on playground equipment, tells kids where babies come from

    Florida man climbs on playground equipment, tells kids where babies come from

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 1:56 AM EDT2018-05-22 05:56:04 GMT

    CLEARWATER BEACH, Fla. - A 30-year-old Florida man was fined $118 and ordered to stay away from a park after police say the man climbed on playground equipment and yelled at children in the area about where babies come from. Otis Dawayne Ryan was taken into custody on a charge of disorderly conduct around 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon in Clearwater Beach, according to the Tampa Bay Times. 

    >>

    CLEARWATER BEACH, Fla. - A 30-year-old Florida man was fined $118 and ordered to stay away from a park after police say the man climbed on playground equipment and yelled at children in the area about where babies come from. Otis Dawayne Ryan was taken into custody on a charge of disorderly conduct around 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon in Clearwater Beach, according to the Tampa Bay Times. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/