WATCH IT: Top 10 Videos Of The Year!
KHQ.COM - Count yourself out of touch — and productive at work! — if you haven't seen more than a couple of these. YouTube's list of Top Ten most watched clips this year does not include major-label music videos, but much of the rest of the YouTube range is represented: a male-grooming ad, a late-night TV clip, some made-for-YouTube comedy and plenty of music, everything from OK Go to a Ke$ha parody. But what these videos most have in common is that they tend to have terrible titles. Just awful.
1. BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes) What it is: Auto-Tune the News makes songs out of what's in the news, in this case, an Alabama man telling a reporter about a nocturnal assault on his sister. Why it is popular: Hard to figure, considering that it's essentially trying to find comedy in an assault. Compelling moment: Couldn't find one. Length: 2:08. Total views: 46.9 million.
2. TIK TOK KESHA Parody: Glitter Puke — Key of Awe$ome #13 What it is: One of the pop-culture parody songs from the Key of Awesome comedy group, this one takes on Ke$ha and her bad-girl image, suggesting maybe it's all part of the act. Why it is popular: It's well imagined, taking the singer from having her head in the toilet to enduring a family intervention, complete with " Dr. Drew." Compelling moment: "I wake up in the morning looking greener than Shrek / Sleeping in a tub can really mess up your neck." Length: 2:42. Total views: 50.9 million.
4. Annoying Orange Wazzup What it is: Annoying Orange, the human-faced fruit star of a hugely popular series of YouTube short videos, does a version of the old beer-company "Wazzup" ads with his fruit buddies, bananas, lemon, kiwi and apple. Why it is popular: Because teenage boys have Internet access. Compelling moment: The apple, right in the middle of a lengthy "wazzzzzuuuuuup," gets sliced in half. Length: 1:13. Total views: 27.3 million.
5. Old Spice | The Man Your Man Could Smell Like What it is: The commercial for Old Spice that ends with the well-muscled guy saying, "I'm on a horse." Why it is popular: It's funny, inventive, fast-paced — and it sparked a whole series of parodies and spin-offs. Compelling moment: "It's an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love … The tickets are now diamonds!" Length: 0:33. Total views: 24.4 million.
6. Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10 What it is: Outdoorsy guy is really overwhelmed by the double rainbow he's captured on video, moving from excitement to tears to philosophy. Why it is popular: Because sincere human emotion makes a lot of people so uncomfortable they feel compelled to laugh at it; also, the guy's reactions are pretty funny: "What does it mean?" Compelling moment: He ended up making a commercial for, no joke, Microsoft. Length: 3:30. Total views: 20.9 million
7. OK Go - This Too Shall Pass — Rube Goldberg Machine version What it is: An elaborate Rube Goldberg maching construction stars in this gem from the one-time Chicago band known more for its videos than for its songs. Why it is popular: It's witty, astonishing, suspenseful fun with an engaging DIY feel, and the complexity almost mandates second and third viewings. Compelling moment: Weight dangling from spinning guitar bangs partially filled water glasses to play notes of the song. Length: 3:54. Total views: 20.1 million
8. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE — Trailer What it is: The official theatrical trailer for the much anticipated next movie about lusty post-pubescent vampires and werewolves. Why it is popular: Because teenaged girls have Internet access. Compelling moment: Edward and Bella hang out in a field of wildflowers, yet neither starts sneezing. Length: 1:33. Total views: 17.8 million.
9. Jimmy Surprises Bieber Fan What it is: Talk-show host Jimmy Kimmel surprises 3-year-old Cody — star of another YouTube video about how much she loves Justin Bieber — with a visit from Bieber. Why it is popular: Maybe for bringing the worlds of YouTube celebrities and real celebrities together, maybe because the kids, including the little girl, are really cute. Compelling moment: She announces she should be the one to marry the singer. Length: 4:38. Total views: 19 million.
10. Ken Block's Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France What it is: Cool tricks in the gymkhana style with a souped up Ford Fiesta. Why it is popular: Very high energy, tricks are genuinely impressive, camerawork is first rate. But mostly: Dude can DRIVE! Compelling moment: Ford spins around man on Segway with "obama can't gymnkhana" sticker on its wheel. Length: 7:42. Total views: 19.1 million.
Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>
SPOKANE, Wash. - Former Spokane Chapter NAACP President Rachel Dolezal is now facing legal trouble that could land her behind bars. KHQ has confirmed that Dolezal, who legally changed her name to Nkechi Diallo in 2016, is accused of 1st Degree Theft by Welfare Fraud, Perjury in the 2nd Degree, and False Verification for Public Assistance.>>
SPOKANE, Wash. - Former Spokane Chapter NAACP President Rachel Dolezal is now facing legal trouble that could land her behind bars. KHQ has confirmed that Dolezal, who legally changed her name to Nkechi Diallo in 2016, is accused of 1st Degree Theft by Welfare Fraud, Perjury in the 2nd Degree, and False Verification for Public Assistance. Her potential punishment under RCW 74.08.331 could include up to 15 years in prison.>>