ALERT: Big Recall Of Baby Monitors Linked To 2 Deaths - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

ALERT: Big Recall Of Baby Monitors Linked To 2 Deaths

WASHINGTON - Nearly 2 million Summer Infant video baby monitors were recalled Friday after being linked to the strangulation deaths of two infants.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the electrical cords on the monitors can be dangerous for babies if placed too close to their cribs. According to the commission, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., died in March when she strangled on the cord of a Summer Infant monitor camera that had been placed on the top of the crib rail. In November, a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., strangled in the electrical cord of a baby monitor placed on the changing table attached to his crib.

CPSC and Summer Infant are also aware of a 20-month-old boy from Pittsburgh who nearly strangled on a camera cord that was mounted to the wall in reach of the child.

Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum says cords and kids can be a deadly combination.

"I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib," she said. "This simple step can save your child's life."

In all, about 1.7 million monitors — more than 40 different models of handheld, digital and color monitors — are being recalled by Summer Infant, based in Woonsocket, R.I.

The company will provide new on-product warning labels and instructions about monitor placement.

The monitors were sold at major retailers nationwide between 2003 and 2011.

The commission first warned about the potential danger of monitor cords last October. Since 2004, seven children have strangled on baby monitor cords placed too close to a crib.

In addition to the recall linked to strangulations, Summer Infant also is recalling the rechargeable batteries in another 58,000 video monitors exclusively sold at Babies R Us in 2009 and 2010. The commission says the batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure Video Monitors can overheat, rupture and possibly burn people.

The company has received five reports of ruptured batteries, including three cases of property damage.

For more information on model numbers of recalled monitors, consumers can contact Summer Infant at 800-426-8627.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • "My son was just gone": mother of kidnapped baby speaks out about online danger

    "My son was just gone": mother of kidnapped baby speaks out about online danger

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 12:30 AM EST2017-11-21 05:30:18 GMT
    Police say Fern Littlecalf kidnapped a babyPolice say Fern Littlecalf kidnapped a baby

    SPOKANE, Wash.- The mother of a 6-month old baby who was kidnapped as part of an elaborate online scam is speaking out, urging everyone to be careful who they meet on the internet.  Lekeisha Johnson, from Kennewick, says she thought she'd been in a relationship with a man for weeks, but then she found out that her supposed boyfriend never existed in the first place. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash.- The mother of a 6-month old baby who was kidnapped as part of an elaborate online scam is speaking out, urging everyone to be careful who they meet on the internet.  Lekeisha Johnson, from Kennewick, says she thought she'd been in a relationship with a man for weeks, but then she found out that her supposed boyfriend never existed in the first place. 

    >>
  • SUV driver crashes into De Leon Foods and then takes off

    SUV driver crashes into De Leon Foods and then takes off

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 10:20 AM EST2017-11-21 15:20:29 GMT
    Courtesy De Leon FoodsCourtesy De Leon Foods

    SPOKANE, Wash.- Spokane Police are looking for the person who crashed into De Leon Foods on Francis in north Spokane. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash.- Spokane Police are looking for the person who crashed into De Leon Foods on Francis in north Spokane. 

    >>
  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/