E. Coli Found On 50 Percent Of Shopping Carts
MSNBC.COM - Every day, parents blithely drop their toddlers into the baskets of shopping carts, never giving a moment's thought to who might have had their hands on the handle last. Preliminary results from a new study show that may be a mistake.
Researchers from the University of Arizona swabbed shopping cart handles in four states looking for bacterial contamination. Of the 85 carts examined, 72 percent turned out to have a marker for fecal bacteria.
The researchers took a closer look at the samples from 36 carts and discovered Escherichia coli, more commonly known as E. coli, on 50 percent of them — along with a host of other types of bacteria.
That's more than you find in a supermarket's restroom," said Charles Gerba, the lead researcher on the study and a professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona. "That's because they use disinfecting cleaners in the restrooms. Nobody routinely cleans and disinfects shopping carts."
The study's results may explain earlier research that found that kids who rode in shopping carts were more likely than others to develop infections caused by bacteria such as salmonella and campylobacter, Gerba said.
Shopping cart handles aren't the only thing you need to worry about when you go to the local supermarket, Gerba added. In other research, he's found that reusable shopping bags that aren't regularly washed turn into bacterial swamps. "It's like wearing the same underwear every day," Gerba said.
The best way to keep kids safe, Gerba said, is to swipe the shopping cart handle with a disinfecting wipe before you pop your kid into the basket.
One thing Gerba couldn't say was how likely it was that a child would get sick from touching — or even sucking on — a contaminated handle.
As far as Dr. Neil Fishman is concerned, that risk isn't very big. "I'd be worried if there was any evidence of any disease outbreaks related to shopping cart use," said Fishman, an infectious disease expert and director of health care epidemiology and infection prevention at the University of Pennsylvania Health System. "There isn't — and we've been using them for a long time."
While there may, indeed, be bacteria on shopping cart handles, they can also be found on doorknobs, countertops and a host of other items we touch every day, Fishman said. "My guess is that there are more bacteria on a car seat than on a shopping cart," he added.
Ultimately, your only defense against germs is to keep your hands — and your kids' hands — squeaky clean, Fishman said.
"While you can't sterilize your environment, you can limit exposure by practicing good hand hygiene," he added. "For most cases, alcohol hand rubs are the best for every day use."
Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>
SPOKANE, Wash. - Seattle-based Amazon.com is opening a fulfillment center in Spokane, promising more than 1,500 full-time jobs. The company announced on Friday that it was opening its first fulfillment center in eastern Washington. The 600,000-square foot center will be built near the Spokane International Airport.>>
BRANSON, Mo. - Divers found four more bodies Friday in a Missouri lake where a duck boat packed with tourists capsized and sank in high winds, bringing the death toll to 17 in the country-and-western town of Branson, authorities said.>>
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - On July 12, officers responded to a large fight at a Coeur d'Alene McDonald's. Court documents say a Hayden man was charged with battery and malicious harassment, which is considered a hate crime in Idaho, following an investigation by police. When officers arrived on scene, the fight had broken up, but witnesses were interviewed at the scene.>>
KITTITAS COUNTY, Wash. - Washington Department of Natural Resources is now reporting the Boylston fire is 70,000 acres in size as of Friday morning. More fire crews are en route to battle the blaze, but firefighters say the fire is burning in an area that's difficult to access.>>
MATTAWA, Wash. -Washington DNR now says the Buckshot fire burning near Mattawa is 20 percent contained Friday morning. The fire size remains at 1,000 acres as crews continue to work.>>
SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Having already experienced enough tragedy this week, a Post Falls woman avoided some more when her beloved dog was found Thursday. Pamela Luton has had an unimaginably difficult week, having lost her husband Michael Arnold in a motorcycle-semi crash near Trent and Evergreen on Tuesday.>>