UPDATE: Vancouver Man Accused Of Setting Fire That Killed 5 - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

UPDATE: Vancouver Man Accused Of Setting Fire That Killed 5 Children

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - A Vancouver man suspected of starting a fire that killed five of his children and himself had been arrested last month after a fight with his wife.

Tuan Dao was arrested March 30 over allegations he threw an iron at his wife. It missed her but the cord hit a child. The next day a Clark County judge ordered the 37-year-old not to come within 500 feet of Lori Dao and to have a third party with him
when he wanted to see the children.

Police say Tuan Dao is the only suspect in Sunday's fire that killed five of his children, ages 12 and under. A 13-year-old daughter and the mother had moved to another address. The couple filed for bankruptcy last fall.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

VANCOUVER, Wash. - Police in Washington state say a Vancouver man apparently set fire to his own home, killing himself and five of his children.

Authorities say they believe those killed in Sunday's fire are 37-year-old Tuan Dao, 12-year-old Nolan, 9-year-olds Noah and Jacob, 8-year-old Samantha and 6-year-old Nathan.

Police spokeswoman Kim Kapp says names may be officially confirmed in a few days by the Clark County medical examiner's office, which is using dental records.

Kapp says the fire was intentionally set with a liquid fuel that exploded. Tuan Dao is the only suspect. The investigation is continuing.

The Oregonian reported Dao's wife, Lori, and a 13-year-old daughter were away at the time of the fire. The Columbian reports the Daos filed for bankruptcy last year.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

VANCOUVER, Wash. - A fire that awakened neighbors with a blast as it tore through a home in Vancouver, Wash., early Sunday has killed six people, officials and area residents said.

After the flames were brought under control around 2 a.m., firefighters initially said two people died in the blaze.

But authorities said at nightfall, after a day of picking through the charred debris, that four more bodies had been found.

Investigators haven't determined the cause of the deaths or the identities of the victims, Vancouver police department spokeswoman Kim Kapp said.

She told The Associated Press that investigators are still trying to find out how the blaze erupted.

While it hasn't been labeled it as suspicious, they haven't yet ruled out arson.

"The arson team hasn't made a determination," she said. "On an investigation like this, with multiple deaths, we utilize many investigative angles."

Kapp said that the police department's major crimes as well as the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were also investigating.

The Clark County medical examiner's office was expected to perform autopsies Monday.

Flames 'just intense'
Neighbors in the Countyside Woods neighborhood told The Columbian of Vancouver that they were wakened by an explosion.

"I ran out barefoot," said Kathy Larsen, who lives next door. "The flames were just intense and people were yelling that it could blow again. We were all yelling and trying to get the occupants awake."

Neighbor Jon Himes, who lives two houses away, told The Columbian that his surveillance camera recorded a man going into the residence at 12:38 a.m. "The blast happened exactly one hour later," he said.

"We heard the boom," Himes' fiancee Courtney Claybin added. "The whole street lit up. ... I was hitting the car to get the alarm to go off."

A man, his wife and three children had vacated the house about six weeks earlier, Larsen said. The man had come back several times, she said.

Vancouver Fire Capt. Chris Moen said 20 firefighters with 11 rigs fought the fire.

The blaze was under control at 2:06 a.m. Sunday. Moen said the house has extensive damage. The fire apparently broke out in the back bedroom on the east side.

"It's just emotionally tragic for the family," Moen told The Columbian. "This has left a mark on everybody who is working on it."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Graco recalls 25,000 car seats

    Graco recalls 25,000 car seats

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:53 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:53:02 GMT

    DETROIT (AP) - Graco Children's Products is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall affects certain My Ride 65 convertible seats made on July 22, 2014 with a code of 2014/06 on a tag that's on the webbing.

    >>

    DETROIT (AP) - Graco Children's Products is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall affects certain My Ride 65 convertible seats made on July 22, 2014 with a code of 2014/06 on a tag that's on the webbing.

    >>
  • Violent Spokane drug trafficker gets 30 years in prison

    Violent Spokane drug trafficker gets 30 years in prison

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 12:00 AM EDT2017-05-24 04:00:27 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 32-year-old Spokane man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday, after he pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges, firearms offenses and threatening witnesses. The United States Attorney's Office reported Tuesday that Aren Lee Perryman, aka Filthy, pleaded guilty to Trafficking in Methamphetamine and Heroin; Possessing and Using Firearms in Connection with Drug Trafficking; and Intimidating and Threatening witnesses.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 32-year-old Spokane man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday, after he pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges, firearms offenses and threatening witnesses. The United States Attorney's Office reported Tuesday that Aren Lee Perryman, aka Filthy, pleaded guilty to Trafficking in Methamphetamine and Heroin; Possessing and Using Firearms in Connection with Drug Trafficking; and Intimidating and Threatening witnesses.

    >>
  • $190 million settlement going to patients secretly recorded by gynecologist

    $190 million settlement going to patients secretly recorded by gynecologist

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:05 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:05:53 GMT

    BALTIMORE (AP) - More than 8,000 patients of a Johns Hopkins gynecologist accused of secretly recording pelvic exams will soon receive their share of a $190 million settlement. The Baltimore Sun reports the final allocation plan was approved Monday. Retired Maryland Court of Appeals Judge Irma Raker, who served as claims adjudicator in the class-action case, says the checks ranging from about $1,900 to nearly $28,000 sh...

    >>

    BALTIMORE (AP) - More than 8,000 patients of a Johns Hopkins gynecologist accused of secretly recording pelvic exams will soon receive their share of a $190 million settlement. The Baltimore Sun reports the final allocation plan was approved Monday. Retired Maryland Court of Appeals Judge Irma Raker, who served as claims adjudicator in the class-action case, says the checks ranging from about $1,900 to nearly $28,000 sh...

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/