Man Stung By Scorpion On Commercial Flight - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Man Stung By Scorpion On Commercial Flight

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon man got a surprise, and some pain, when he was stung by a scorpion during a commercial flight from Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska.

Jeff Ellis of West Linn tells KPTV he was trying to sleep on a red-eye Alaska Airlines flight June 17 when he felt something in his sleeve and tried to brush it away.

He says he felt the crawling again, looked down and saw the culprit. "I picked my hand up and said, `Oh, my God. That's a scorpion."'

Ellis says he grabbed the scorpion with a napkin, but not before it stung him on the elbow. He says it caused a burning sensation.

Ellis was checked by two doctors on board and medics on the ground. The flight originated from Austin, Texas, where Alaska Airlines officials believe the scorpion got on board. Ellis says the airline offered him 4,000 frequent-flier miles and two round-trip tickets.
 

      
      (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)
   

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    >>
  • Ghost tours will continue at closed Colfax hospital

    Ghost tours will continue at closed Colfax hospital

    Friday, September 22 2017 5:19 PM EDT2017-09-22 21:19:47 GMT

    COLFAX, Wash. (AP) - It looks like the tours and ghost hunts will continue at the haunted hospital in the town of Colfax. A structural engineer from Spokane has told the city's Downtown Association that the building is structurally sound, opening the door for one more year of tours at St. Ignatius Hospital. The Lewiston Tribune reports the tours raised more than $30,000 from 2015-16 for the Colfax Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Association. 

    >>

    COLFAX, Wash. (AP) - It looks like the tours and ghost hunts will continue at the haunted hospital in the town of Colfax. A structural engineer from Spokane has told the city's Downtown Association that the building is structurally sound, opening the door for one more year of tours at St. Ignatius Hospital. The Lewiston Tribune reports the tours raised more than $30,000 from 2015-16 for the Colfax Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Association. 

    >>
  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/