Judge: Norway Terror Suspect Admits Attacks - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Prosecutor: Norway Suspect Doesn't Expect Release

UPDATE: The prosecutor in Norway's twin terror attacks says the man accused of them expects to spend the rest of his life in prison.

The maximum prison sentence in Norway is 21 years, but convicts who pose a danger to society can be held after their sentence is up.

Prosecutor Christian Hatlo said Anders Behring Breivik told investigators during his interrogation that he never expected to be released.

Breivik has confessed to bombing Oslo's government headquarters and opening fire on young people at an island retreat.

He has said in a written document that the killings were "marketing" for his belief that Europe must be saved from Muslim colonization. Police lowered the death toll Monday to 76, from 93.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:    

Oslo, Norway (CNN) -- The suspect in the worst attack in Norway since World War II has acknowledged carrying out the attacks and claims to have worked with two other cells, a judge said Monday.

He defended the attacks as necessary to combat the "colonization" of Norway by Muslims, Judge Kim Heger said.

The suspect said he worked with two cells to carry out the attacks, Heger said. Other court officials said they could not confirm the existence of the cells and referred questions to the police.

Heger ordered the suspect to remain in custody for at least eight weeks, until his next scheduled court appearance, as authorities continue to investigate a bombing in Oslo and an attack at a nearby island that together killed dozens of people.

The suspect will be held in isolation because of the possibility of tampering with evidence, Heger said.

Police have identified the suspect as Anders Behring Breivik, 32, a suspected right-wing Christian extremist who appears to have written a 1,500-page manifesto ranting against Muslims and laying out meticulous plans to prepare for the attacks without being detected.

The suspect acknowledges carrying out the attacks, the judge said, but said the attacks were necessary in light of the "treason" of the victims in promoting multiculturalism.

The judge spoke to news reporters after a hearing that was closed to the public. Breivik asked to wear a uniform to the hearing but was not allowed to, Heger said.

CNN has not independently confirmed that Breivik is the author of the manifesto, which says it is designed to be circulated among sympathizers and bears his name.

The judge ordered him held in custody for eight weeks until his next court appearance.

Police said Breivik confessed to the attacks, while his lawyer said the suspect wanted to "explain himself" in court, NRK reported before the court appearance.

Authorities in Norway now believe that there were fewer victims in Friday's mass shooting than previously thought, they told CNN Monday.

Police spokesman Henning Holtaas would not say by how many the death toll would be reduced, saying only that details and the numbers of dead would be released at a news conference later in the day.

"It is important for Norwegian police to be 100% sure before releasing the names of the dead," he told CNN.

Authorities had been saying at least 93 people were killed and 96 wounded in the terror attacks. >>>CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

MSN - The 32-year-old Norwegian man suspected of Norway's shooting and bomb massacre calls his deeds "atrocious" yet "necessary" and will explain in court, his lawyer said Sunday.

Meanwhile, a 1,500-page manifesto emerged that carried detailed planning for and direct references to an attack on the summer camp where most of the deaths occurred.

Anders Behring Breivik was arrested after Friday's massacre of at least 85 people — mostly teens — on a tiny forested holiday island that was hosting a summer camp for the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labor party. Breivik was also charged in the bombing of Oslo's government district, which killed seven people hours earlier.

"He has said that he believed the actions were atrocious, but that in his head they were necessary," defense lawyer Geir Lippestad told TV2 news.

Lippestad said his client was willing to explain himself in a court hearing on Monday. The court will decide at the hearing whether to keep the suspect in detention pending his trial.

If convicted on the terrorism charges, he would face a maximum of 21 years in jail, police said.

It was unclear what unleashed the bloodshed, though news agency NTB said Breivik was a member of a gun club and legally owned firearms. At the shooting, police said Breivik carried a Glock pistol and an automatic weapon. Police said Breivik surrendered to authorities and has since confessed.

To read more, click HERE

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Violent Spokane drug trafficker gets 30 years in prison

    Violent Spokane drug trafficker gets 30 years in prison

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 12:00 AM EDT2017-05-24 04:00:27 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 32-year-old Spokane man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday, after he pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges, firearms offenses and threatening witnesses. The United States Attorney's Office reported Tuesday that Aren Lee Perryman, aka Filthy, pleaded guilty to Trafficking in Methamphetamine and Heroin; Possessing and Using Firearms in Connection with Drug Trafficking; and Intimidating and Threatening witnesses.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 32-year-old Spokane man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday, after he pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges, firearms offenses and threatening witnesses. The United States Attorney's Office reported Tuesday that Aren Lee Perryman, aka Filthy, pleaded guilty to Trafficking in Methamphetamine and Heroin; Possessing and Using Firearms in Connection with Drug Trafficking; and Intimidating and Threatening witnesses.

    >>
  • Graco recalls 25,000 car seats

    Graco recalls 25,000 car seats

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:53 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:53:02 GMT

    DETROIT (AP) - Graco Children's Products is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall affects certain My Ride 65 convertible seats made on July 22, 2014 with a code of 2014/06 on a tag that's on the webbing.

    >>

    DETROIT (AP) - Graco Children's Products is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall affects certain My Ride 65 convertible seats made on July 22, 2014 with a code of 2014/06 on a tag that's on the webbing.

    >>
  • Woman lost in Montana wilderness tells miraculous story of survival

    Woman lost in Montana wilderness tells miraculous story of survival

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 8:56 PM EDT2017-05-24 00:56:55 GMT

    By David Winter ABC Fox Montana/KTMF A Chicago woman visiting family in Montana captivated the nation for nearly a week as she was lost in the woods. Then miraculously, found alive and well with her dog, Mogie. Now Madeline Connelly, her family and members of the search crew are sharing their stories from Maddie's seven days alone in the woods.

    >>

    By David Winter ABC Fox Montana/KTMF A Chicago woman visiting family in Montana captivated the nation for nearly a week as she was lost in the woods. Then miraculously, found alive and well with her dog, Mogie. Now Madeline Connelly, her family and members of the search crew are sharing their stories from Maddie's seven days alone in the woods.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/