Pullman Apartment Fire Caused By Cigarette - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Pullman Apartment Fire Caused By Cigarette

KHQ.COM - Pullman fire prevention officer Rich Dragoo said the fire Sunday evening at the Pioneer Hill Apartments was caused by a cigarette left on a couch.

Dragoo said after spending time searching for evidence in the apartment unit at SE 405 Jordan Road and talking to individuals he determined that a smoldering cigarette was the culprit.  He said the fire started in the couch and then it spread to the walls in the living room.

Pullman's fire investigator said the fire was first spotted the residents that lived directly above unit 4 and they called 911.  Dragoo said he was told that the residents got water and carried buckets to the apartment help put out the blaze and they later used a fire extinguisher.  He said they managed to get about 80 percent of the fire handled before the first fire crew entered the apartment.

Dragoo said most of the damage was in the living room area but there was heat damage throughout the apartment.  He said he would need to consult with the occupant and the insurance company before placing a dollar figure on the damage.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Spokane community weighs in on homelessness

    Spokane community weighs in on homelessness

    Tuesday, September 26 2017 2:25 AM EDT2017-09-26 06:25:48 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's no secret that Spokane is struggling to fight homelessness in a battle that's been going on for years. People are getting passionate about what is and isn't being done about it. On Monday night, the city of Spokane wanted to hear from the community about tackling the problem of homelessness. Over a hundred people came to the meeting.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - It's no secret that Spokane is struggling to fight homelessness in a battle that's been going on for years. People are getting passionate about what is and isn't being done about it. On Monday night, the city of Spokane wanted to hear from the community about tackling the problem of homelessness. Over a hundred people came to the meeting.

    >>
  • Help Me Hayley: Spokane company tows away crime magnet

    Help Me Hayley: Spokane company tows away crime magnet

    Monday, September 25 2017 10:18 PM EDT2017-09-26 02:18:57 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - An elderly North Spokane woman has been living in fear for months. She said an estranged relative abandoned a trailer in her backyard and then took off. She said the trailer has now attracted squatters and all sorts of criminal activity. She said she tried desperately to get it removed without any luck.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - An elderly North Spokane woman has been living in fear for months. She said an estranged relative abandoned a trailer in her backyard and then took off. She said the trailer has now attracted squatters and all sorts of criminal activity. She said she tried desperately to get it removed without any luck.

    >>
  • Explosion reported near Colfax may have been faulty reading

    Explosion reported near Colfax may have been faulty reading

    Monday, September 25 2017 9:26 PM EDT2017-09-26 01:26:30 GMT

    COLFAX, Wash. - Update 6:23 p.m.: Officials with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network say a reported explosion near Colfax Monday afternoon may have been the result of a faulty reading related to an earthquake in Montana.

    >>

    COLFAX, Wash. - Update 6:23 p.m.: Officials with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network say a reported explosion near Colfax Monday afternoon may have been the result of a faulty reading related to an earthquake in Montana.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/