Pullman Apartment Fire Caused By Cigarette - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Pullman Apartment Fire Caused By Cigarette

KHQ.COM - Pullman fire prevention officer Rich Dragoo said the fire Sunday evening at the Pioneer Hill Apartments was caused by a cigarette left on a couch.

Dragoo said after spending time searching for evidence in the apartment unit at SE 405 Jordan Road and talking to individuals he determined that a smoldering cigarette was the culprit.  He said the fire started in the couch and then it spread to the walls in the living room.

Pullman's fire investigator said the fire was first spotted the residents that lived directly above unit 4 and they called 911.  Dragoo said he was told that the residents got water and carried buckets to the apartment help put out the blaze and they later used a fire extinguisher.  He said they managed to get about 80 percent of the fire handled before the first fire crew entered the apartment.

Dragoo said most of the damage was in the living room area but there was heat damage throughout the apartment.  He said he would need to consult with the occupant and the insurance company before placing a dollar figure on the damage.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Station: Video shows nurses laughing as 89-year-old dies

    Station: Video shows nurses laughing as 89-year-old dies

    Sunday, November 19 2017 1:30 PM EST2017-11-19 18:30:54 GMT

    ATLANTA (AP) - Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care.    The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures, and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

    >>

    ATLANTA (AP) - Two nurses lost their licenses after a television station persuaded courts to unseal a video secretly recorded by the family of a man who died in their care.    The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures, and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

    >>
  • Spokane's historic Ice Storm is now 21 years old

    Spokane's historic Ice Storm is now 21 years old

    Sunday, November 19 2017 4:56 PM EST2017-11-19 21:56:04 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Friday marked two years since windstorm 2015 knocked down trees, caused massive damage and left thousands of people without power in and around Spokane. Just a few days later marks another historic weather-related anniversary in the region: Ice Storm 1996.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Friday marked two years since windstorm 2015 knocked down trees, caused massive damage and left thousands of people without power in and around Spokane. Just a few days later marks another historic weather-related anniversary in the region: Ice Storm 1996.

    >>
  • Shooting in North Spokane was domestic violence related

    Shooting in North Spokane was domestic violence related

    Sunday, November 19 2017 4:12 PM EST2017-11-19 21:12:10 GMT

    Police say the girlfriend of a man shot Saturday night in north Spokane has been arrested on first degree assault charges. Officers were called to the 1600 block of E. Bismark Saturday night around 7 p.m. Responding officers found a man and woman inside an apartment. The man had been shot in the leg and the woman told police an intruder had come into their apartment and shot the victim in the leg, then took off.

    >>

    Police say the girlfriend of a man shot Saturday night in north Spokane has been arrested on first degree assault charges. Officers were called to the 1600 block of E. Bismark Saturday night around 7 p.m. Responding officers found a man and woman inside an apartment. The man had been shot in the leg and the woman told police an intruder had come into their apartment and shot the victim in the leg, then took off.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/