Post Falls Apartment Fire Blamed On Cigarette - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Post Falls Apartment Fire Blamed On Cigarette

POST FALLS, Id. – An overnight fire that destroyed at least three apartments is being blamed on a cigarette left on a balcony.

24 units were evacuated at about 2:30 on Wednesday morning. Kootenai County Fire & Rescue said three units were destroyed, two were damaged by fire and several others suffered smoke and water damage.

Authorities said the fire rated drywall helped slow the spread of flames this morning.

The Red Cross is helping at least one tenant find a place to stay.

****************************************************************************

PRESS RELEASE FROM KOOTENAI COUNTY FIRE & RESCUE: Fire crews were dispatched to a second alarm structure fire Wednesday morning at 302 W. 4th St, at the Falls Park Apartments, in Post Falls, ID at 1:42 a.m. The fire started on the second floor balcony of building 1. The first response unit was on scene at 1:50 a.m., and by 1:51 a.m. they upgraded the call to a 3rd alarm.

Fire crews had most of the fire knocked down by 2:38 a.m., and had it completely extinguished and went to a mop-up stage at 3:09 a.m. All units cleared the scene at 8:45 a.m.; the apartment complex was turned over to the landlord and residents at that time.

There are 24 apartments in building 1; all were evacuated until they were deemed safe for residents to return into their homes. Three of the apartments were a complete loss. Two others were damaged by the fire, and many others received damage from smoke and water. The fire walls in the building slowed the progress of the fire from spreading horizontally to other apartments until fire crews were able to begin extinguishment.

After an investigation was completed, evidence shows that a cigarette on the second story balcony was to blame for the fire.

Over 30 firefighters from Kootenai County Fire & Rescue, Northern Lakes Fire District, Coeur d'Alene Fire Department and Hauser Lake Fire Department all responded to the fire, a total of twelve apparatus.

 The American Red Cross was on scene to help residents that needed assistance.

*************************************************************************
PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

POST FALLS, Idaho - Dozens of people had to be evacuated because of an apartment fire in Post Falls early Tuesday morning. According to officials, the fire started shortly before 2:00 a.m. on a 2nd floor balcony at the Falls Park Apartments on West 4th St., then spread to the third floor. No injuries were reported.

KHQ was first on scene and fire officials say firewalls were able to stop the fire from spreading to other buildings. The fire affected as many as six units, and many as four of those units were a complete loss. 41 people in 24 apartment units were evacuated and the Red Cross is assisting displaced residents.

There was no immediate word on how the fire started.  

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

    New York State illegally moving convicted sex offenders from prisons into group homes with the developmentally disabled

    Thursday, September 20 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-09-20 13:14:31 GMT
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>
    Three State agencies are involved in placing convicted sex offenders in group homes or hiding this information from the families and the general public>>
  • A bag for a bag: students tackle social stigma to fight food insecurity

    A bag for a bag: students tackle social stigma to fight food insecurity

    Tuesday, September 25 2018 2:15 AM EDT2018-09-25 06:15:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A problem within a solution – it’s a phrase so oxymoronic that it almost doesn’t make sense, but it’s crystal clear for a specific group of students at Lewis and Clark High School.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A problem within a solution – it’s a phrase so oxymoronic that it almost doesn’t make sense, but it’s crystal clear for a specific group of students at Lewis and Clark High School.

    >>
  • VIDEO: Stack of Sandpoint newspapers lit on fire in latest anonymous attack targeting writer

    VIDEO: Stack of Sandpoint newspapers lit on fire in latest anonymous attack targeting writer

    Monday, September 24 2018 9:46 PM EDT2018-09-25 01:46:53 GMT

    SANDPOINT, Idaho. First -  it was a robocall, now a threat, targetting a Sandpoint newspaper and one of its writers, has surfaced on YouTube. "Ben Olson is a cancer on wholesome North Idaho," the video states. "And cancers must be burned out." The 56-second video clip shows a picture of Co-owner and Publisher of the Sandpoint Reader, Ben Olson, next to a stack of the newspaper he writes for. The papers are doused in a clear liquid then lit on fire. 

    >>

    SANDPOINT, Idaho. First -  it was a robocall, now a threat, targetting a Sandpoint newspaper and one of its writers, has surfaced on YouTube. "Ben Olson is a cancer on wholesome North Idaho," the video states. "And cancers must be burned out." The 56-second video clip shows a picture of Co-owner and Publisher of the Sandpoint Reader, Ben Olson, next to a stack of the newspaper he writes for. The papers are doused in a clear liquid then lit on fire. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/