700 Arrested In Wall Street Protests - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

700 Arrested In Wall Street Protests

MSNBC - NEW YORK — New York City police say about 700 protesters have been arrested after they swarmed the Brooklyn Bridge and blocked traffic lanes for several hours.

On the second week of protests by the Occupy Wall Street movement, a large group of marchers broke off from others on the bridge's pedestrian walkway and headed across the Brooklyn-bound lanes.

Police say demonstrators spilled onto the roadway Saturday night after being told to stay on the pedestrian pathway. They face charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Some of the protesters said that authorities had tricked, trapped and then arrested them, according to The New York Times.

"The cops watched and did nothing, indeed, seemed to guide us onto the roadway," Occupy Wall Street media coordinator Jesse Myerson told the newspaper.

A majority of the people arrested were given citations and released, The Associated Press reported.

Both the walkway and Brooklyn-bound car lanes were shut to traffic, snarling traffic. Police reopened the bridge at 8:05 p.m. EDT.

'We are not criminals'
Witnesses described a chaotic scene on the famous suspension bridge as a sea of police officers surrounded the protesters using orange mesh netting.

Protesters speaking out against corporate greed and social inequality took their "solidarity march" to Brooklyn, but battled in a war of words against officers, chanting "We are not criminals" and "Let us go!"

Some protesters tried to get away as officers started handcuffing members of the group. Dozens of protesters were seen handcuffed and sitting on the span as three buses were called in to take them away, witnesses and organizers said.

The New York Times reported a few protesters had "clambered dangerously up the structure of the bridge to get to the wooden pedestrian walkway, which is about 15 feet above the road."

This article from MSNBC.com, To Read More, CLICK HERE

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Convicted Idaho dog killer arrested in Washington

    Convicted Idaho dog killer arrested in Washington

    Thursday, September 20 2018 3:55 AM EDT2018-09-20 07:55:33 GMT

    A man convicted for killing a dog in Kootenai County was arrested by the Okanogan County deputies on Friday. Austin Stephen Matott was released from jail on a $25,000 on Tuesday. He was pulled over for a routine traffic stop a few days beforehand. Matott was wanted in Idaho for skipping his sentencing hearing last month, August 7. He was found guilty of two charges of animal abuse and cruelty. A jury found Matott responsible for killing a corgi-heeler mix named Hank, who was...

    >>

    A man convicted for killing a dog in Kootenai County was arrested by the Okanogan County deputies on Friday. Austin Stephen Matott was released from jail on a $25,000 on Tuesday. He was pulled over for a routine traffic stop a few days beforehand. Matott was wanted in Idaho for skipping his sentencing hearing last month, August 7. He was found guilty of two charges of animal abuse and cruelty. A jury found Matott responsible for killing a corgi-heeler mix named Hank, who was...

    >>
  • Spokane man booked into Kooenai County Jail for 21st time

    Spokane man booked into Kooenai County Jail for 21st time

    Thursday, September 20 2018 1:51 PM EDT2018-09-20 17:51:49 GMT

    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office reports a 39-year-old man from Spokane was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for the 21st time on Wednesday. Deputies arrested Anthony K. Thompson for a felony escape from community custody warrant and possession of stolen property.

    >>

    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office reports a 39-year-old man from Spokane was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for the 21st time on Wednesday. Deputies arrested Anthony K. Thompson for a felony escape from community custody warrant and possession of stolen property.

    >>
  • Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Suge Knight pleads to manslaughter over fatal confrontation

    Thursday, September 20 2018 5:16 PM EDT2018-09-20 21:16:55 GMT

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago.    The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/