Dog Saves Owner From Fire, Dog Dies - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Dog Saves Owner From Fire, Dog Dies

COBB COUNTY, GA (CBS ATLANTA) - A Cobb County man is crediting his dog for saving his life from an overnight house fire that the dog did not survive.

Scott Dunn told CBS Atlanta News that he and his dog Duncan had fallen asleep on the couch in the living room at his home on Joel Drive near Marietta.

"And the next thing I know he was pawing at me, barking and scratching, and I woke up and I couldn't see anything," Dunn said as he fought back tears.

Thick smoke had blanketed the room. Scott, who remodels homes for a living, could hardly breathe.

"So I grabbed keys to back my truck out because that's my livelihood," he said.

He grabbed Duncan by the collar and made it out of the house. That's when he realized he had the collar, but no Duncan.

"His collar came off," said Dunn. "He wouldn't come. I think he was just as scared as I was."

Firefighters later found Duncan's body curled up on Scott's bed.

"That's my boy. He saved my life," Dunn said tearfully. "He saved my life, but I couldn't return the favor. It was too hot in there. I couldn't get back in there."

Dunn's neighbor was able to move his truck from underneath the carport as Dunn called for Duncan. The truck and the clothes on Dunn's back are the only possessions he has, he said.

Dunn's home is a total loss, said Cobb County Fire Department Lt. Mike Bell. Investigators are trying to figure out what started the fire.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
  • UPDATE: Firefighters say fire burning near Sacred Heart is suspicious

    UPDATE: Firefighters say fire burning near Sacred Heart is suspicious

    Saturday, November 17 2018 3:04 AM EST2018-11-17 08:04:06 GMT

    Spokane firefighters are on the scene of a fire at a five-story garage that's under construction near Sacred Heart on the South Hill.

    >>

    Spokane firefighters are on the scene of a fire at a five-story garage that's under construction near Sacred Heart on the South Hill.

    >>
  • Man faces DUI, hit and run charges for crash that flipped semi in Spokane Valley

    Man faces DUI, hit and run charges for crash that flipped semi in Spokane Valley

    Saturday, November 17 2018 1:46 PM EST2018-11-17 18:46:53 GMT

    All eastbound I-90 lanes near Evergreen in Spokane Valley were closed this morning after a semi flipped onto its side. It started with an erratic driver in a black pickup truck slamming into a passenger car. 

    >>

    All eastbound I-90 lanes near Evergreen in Spokane Valley were closed this morning after a semi flipped onto its side. It started with an erratic driver in a black pickup truck slamming into a passenger car. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/