Fire Forces Families Out Of Home On Christmas Day - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Fire Forces Families Out Of Home On Christmas Day

SPOKANE, Wash. - Early Sunday morning crews responded to a fire at 823 East Crown Avenue in northeast Spokane. Spokane firefighters arrived quickly to find smoke showing from the attic and first floor as well as flames from the roof of a one-story duplex.

Firefighters found a fire moving quickly in one unit of the duplex and began a quick search for occupants ventilating the ice-covered roof.

The resident of the apartment was already outside after a neighbor woke him up and a father and son in the unit next to the fire were quickly evacuated. 

Firefighters confined flames to one unit's attic area in just 1 hour and there were no injuries reported.

The cause of the fire is accidental and appeared to be caused by a faulty fire place.

Though loss from the fire was limited to mostly one unit.

One family was referred to the American Red Cross for interim placement assistance. Both families were incredibly fortunate as there were no working smoke detectors in the building.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/