Penn State Abuse: Paterno Contract Deal Reached Amid Scandal - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Penn State Abuse: Paterno Contract Deal Reached Amid Scandal

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - As the country absorbs the independent report released Thursday on the Penn State sex abuse scandal, some see it as more than an indictment of one school. They see it as underscoring how major-college sports, football in particular, have run amok.
    
The investigators determined that Penn State officials, including the university president and legendary coach Joe Paterno, protected their cash-cow football program instead of young boys who were victimized by former Nittany Lions assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.
    
Some say the case will spark change but Murray Sperber, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, is skeptical. He says he's seen too many scandals where "nobody learned anything."

Meanwhile, a newspaper says Penn State football coach Joe Paterno testified before a grand jury in a sex-abuse investigation of a longtime assistant coach the same month he began negotiating an amendment to his contact.
    
The New York Times says Paterno and the university reached agreement on the amended contract that eventually totaled $5.5 million in August, months before charges were filed against Jerry Sandusky.
    
The contract included a $3 million career bonus if Paterno retired at the end of the 2011 season. It also included access to a stadium box for his family for 25 years, parking privileges and access to hydrotherapy equipment for his wife.
    
Paterno was fired in November and died in January. Sandusky is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of 45 counts.
    
Paterno family attorney Wick Sollers told the newspaper Friday that it was Penn State that proposed the package, and that many elements had existed in previous contracts.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Spokane human rights group to apologize to sheriff, deputies

    Spokane human rights group to apologize to sheriff, deputies

    Sunday, July 23 2017 12:15 PM EDT2017-07-23 16:15:29 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The Spokane Human Rights Commission plan to apologize to the sheriff's office for a comment one of its official made on social media regarding newly hired deputies. Vice chairwoman Ashley Torres shared a post on Facebook announcing seven new Spokane County sheriff's deputies and commented on the lack of diversity in the force.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The Spokane Human Rights Commission plan to apologize to the sheriff's office for a comment one of its official made on social media regarding newly hired deputies. Vice chairwoman Ashley Torres shared a post on Facebook announcing seven new Spokane County sheriff's deputies and commented on the lack of diversity in the force.

    >>
  • Police: Video shows teens watching, laughing as man drowns

    Police: Video shows teens watching, laughing as man drowns

    Saturday, July 22 2017 2:48 PM EDT2017-07-22 18:48:32 GMT

    COCOA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities in Florida say a group of teens watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond last week. Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 9. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens recorded the 31-year-old's drowning on video. The video was released by the state attorney's office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today.

    >>

    COCOA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities in Florida say a group of teens watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond last week. Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 9. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens recorded the 31-year-old's drowning on video. The video was released by the state attorney's office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today.

    >>
  • Contest winner disqualified over pro-Trump Instagram post

    Contest winner disqualified over pro-Trump Instagram post

    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:38 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:38:14 GMT

    A Kansas makeup artist says she won a national contest sponsored by Kat Von D Beauty but was later was disqualified because of her Instagram post supporting Donald Trump's presidential candidacy. The Wichita Eagle reports screenshots taken by Gypsy Freeman of Wichita show she won the Instagram contest last month.

    >>

    A Kansas makeup artist says she won a national contest sponsored by Kat Von D Beauty but was later was disqualified because of her Instagram post supporting Donald Trump's presidential candidacy. The Wichita Eagle reports screenshots taken by Gypsy Freeman of Wichita show she won the Instagram contest last month.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/