Haunted Houses: Putting Safety First For Your Little Ghoul - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Haunted Houses: Putting Safety First For Your Little Ghoul

POST FALLS, Idaho – Halloween is quickly approaching, and local haunted houses will be packed in the coming days.   But with terror around every turn, how safe are they?

Haunted houses are usually regulated by local fire departments based on the international fire code, and fire inspectors will do in-person safety checks before the doors can even open, all to make sure you're scared for the right reason.

KHQ visited the Post Falls Lions Haunted House at 4th & Post in Post Falls for a tour.  Among the cobwebs and coffins inside, are several fire extinguishers, upgraded fire alarms, sprinklers, and emergency exit doors.

"So if there's a problem we just go right straight out," said Ken Cook, the treasurer of the Post Falls Lions Club.

If fire inspectors do find a gross safety hazard that's a threat to life, they can shut down a haunted house on the spot.  If it's a lesser problem, 30 days are usually given to remedy the problem, before fines or other fees may be given.

A Kootenai County Fire & Rescue spokesperson told KHQ the Post Falls Lions Haunted House has a great record of meeting safety regulations. 

Groups of guests go through the house with a monitor, who can help in case of an emergency, and the location of each group is charted throughout the house.

So all you mummy's can rest in peace, knowing that when the witching hour comes, there are no safety skeletons in the closet.

"This is our operating room, we've done a couple surgeries here," Cook said, showing off one room in the haunted house.  "And some of them weren't too successful."

So, as long as you can stand the witches and goblins inside, we say ‘Happy Haunting.'

If you'd like to visit the Post Falls Lions Haunted House, call (208) 618-9755 or visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Falls-Lions-Haunted-House/102090869856657

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Reports say Kylie Jenner is pregnant with first child

    Reports say Kylie Jenner is pregnant with first child

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:03 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:03:36 GMT

    LOS ANGELES, Calif. (AP) - Is there going to be another addition to the Jenner-Kardashian clan? Several media outlets, including TMZ and People, are reporting Friday that 20-year-old Kylie Jenner, the youngest member of the reality show family, is expecting a child with her boyfriend Travis Scott. Reps did not confirm the pregnancy, however, and did not immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment. (Copyright 2017 The Associated Press

    >>

    LOS ANGELES, Calif. (AP) - Is there going to be another addition to the Jenner-Kardashian clan? Several media outlets, including TMZ and People, are reporting Friday that 20-year-old Kylie Jenner, the youngest member of the reality show family, is expecting a child with her boyfriend Travis Scott. Reps did not confirm the pregnancy, however, and did not immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment. (Copyright 2017 The Associated Press

    >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    >>
  • Ghost tours will continue at closed Colfax hospital

    Ghost tours will continue at closed Colfax hospital

    Friday, September 22 2017 5:19 PM EDT2017-09-22 21:19:47 GMT

    COLFAX, Wash. (AP) - It looks like the tours and ghost hunts will continue at the haunted hospital in the town of Colfax. A structural engineer from Spokane has told the city's Downtown Association that the building is structurally sound, opening the door for one more year of tours at St. Ignatius Hospital. The Lewiston Tribune reports the tours raised more than $30,000 from 2015-16 for the Colfax Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Association. 

    >>

    COLFAX, Wash. (AP) - It looks like the tours and ghost hunts will continue at the haunted hospital in the town of Colfax. A structural engineer from Spokane has told the city's Downtown Association that the building is structurally sound, opening the door for one more year of tours at St. Ignatius Hospital. The Lewiston Tribune reports the tours raised more than $30,000 from 2015-16 for the Colfax Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Association. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/