Chiefs Tops Regina in OT - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather

Chiefs Tops Regina in OT

At home for the first time in three weeks, the Regina Pats looked to build on their three-game home winning streak against Spokane Chiefs on Saturday night. The Pats had eight players scratched due to injury or sickness.

In the first, the Chiefs controlled most of the play, but the Pats were excellent in their own end. The Pats' Colby Williams was called for the first penalty of the game 4:25 into the period for hooking. Dylan Walchuk capitalized on the Chiefs' powerplay with a goal from Brenden Kichton and Mitch Holmberg. At 12:19, on a broken play, Mitch Holmberg put the Chiefs ahead 2-0.

Four minutes after Holmberg's goal, Walchuk was called for tripping giving the Blue and White their first powerplay of the game. Colten Mayor cut the lead in half with a hard-working powerplay goal from Morgan Klimchuk with 6:25 left in the frame. The visitors' Carter Proft was called for a checking from behind twenty-four seconds after Mayor's goal. Pats backup goaltender Teagan Sacher made a fantastic save on the Chiefs' shorthanded breakaway to keep the score 2-1. With forty-five seconds left in the first period, Klimchuk knotted up the score 2-2. The first period concluded with the teams deadlocked 2-2 and the shots 16-12 in favor of Spokane.

Spokane's Jason Fram was called for a hooking penalty just 1:36 into the second period to give the Pats the early man advantage. On the rush, Klimchuk got a burst of speed, got around the Chiefs' defender, and fed the puck in front to Lane Schiedl who sniped his 17th goal of the year on the powerplay at 17:51. The Blue and White went back on the man advantage after the Chiefs' Jeremy McIntosh was called for elbowing at 16:19. It took only eight seconds for Scheidl to tally his second powerplay goal of the game after a beautiful passing play from Mayor and Klimchuk that increased the Pats' lead 4-2.

Their two goal lead was short lived as the Chiefs' Todd Fiddler scored a quick goal off of the faceoff from Mike Aviani at 11:07 of the second. Klimchuk responded forty-seconds later to regain the Blue and White's two goal cushion on the visitors with his second of the game from Scheidl. Klimchuk's goal chased the Chiefs' goaltender Garret Hughson from the game. Hughson was replaced in net by Eric Williams. The Chiefs narrowed the score to 5-4 with a Reid Gow goal from Tyson Predinchuk and Riley Whittingham with 5:24 left in the second frame. The visitors' Fiddler took a cross-checking penalty thirty-two seconds left in the second period to give the Pats a powerplay to start the third. The Pats led the game 5-4 after two periods.

To start the third, the Pats failed to cash in on their powerplay. The Chiefs poured relentless pressure on the Blue and White and Sacher continued to make standout saves for the home team. Carter Proft eventually evened up the score with a goal 6:59 into the frame from Whittingham and Predinchuk. Pats' Tye Hand was called for tripping with 7:58 to go in the third. To cool down the visitors' offense, the Pats called a time-out with 4:13 to go in regulation. The Blue and White tried to break the tie late in the game but fell short. With the shots 54-26 in favor of the Chiefs, the teams readied themselves for overtime.

The Chiefs' relentless offense carried over from the third period into overtime. Sacher made fantastic saves to give the Blue and White a chance to win the game. Chiefs' Tyler King tallied the overtime winner from Kichton and Blake Gal with 2:14 to go in overtime to gather up the extra point and cap off the comeback. The final score was 6-5 for the Spokane Chiefs.