New Development in Possible Kings-to-Seattle Deal - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

NBA

New Development in Possible Kings-to-Seattle Deal

As of right now – Tuesday afternoon – the Kings still belong to Sacramento despite investor Chris Hansen's push to buy the NBA franchise from the Maloof family. There is, however, a new development in the ongoing sports saga.

Sacramento Mayor and former NBA star Kevin Johnson told the Associated Press on Tuesday that he has approval from NBA Commissioner David Stern to present a counteroffer to the league from investors who want to keep the team in Sacramento.

Johnson, speaking at a State of Downtown breakfast, gave a six week timetable on the counteroffer, calling it a "six-week sprint" to put a proposal together. The league's deadline for teams to apply for relocation is March 1.

The Associated Press said neither the Kings nor the NBA have a comment.

Yahoo Sports reported Monday that the NBA held a conference call last week with the league's relocation committee to talk about the Kings possibly relocating to Seattle. The source detailed the proposal, saying Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer would buy 65 percent of the team valued at $525 million. The remaining 35 percent would remain with minority owners.

A report on NBA.com said a deal was just about done, but Hansen wanted to wait until the Seattle Seahawks had their playoff situation settled before making anything official.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Pro SportsProMore>>

  • Mariners fall to Red Sox 3-0

    Mariners fall to Red Sox 3-0

    BOSTON (AP) -- The Red Sox scored runs in bunches in tallying four consecutive victories. They leaned on pitching and defense to earn their latest. Eduardo Rodriguez pitched six scoreless innings and the Red Sox took advantage of a sloppy performance by the Seattle Mariners for their season-high fifth straight win, 3-0 on Friday night.

    >>

    BOSTON (AP) -- The Red Sox scored runs in bunches in tallying four consecutive victories. They leaned on pitching and defense to earn their latest. Eduardo Rodriguez pitched six scoreless innings and the Red Sox took advantage of a sloppy performance by the Seattle Mariners for their season-high fifth straight win, 3-0 on Friday night.

    >>
  • Mariners beat Nationals 4-2 to snap losing streak

    Mariners beat Nationals 4-2 to snap losing streak

    Nelson Cruz hits three-run home run in route to victory over NationalsNelson Cruz hits three-run home run in route to victory over Nationals

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nelson Cruz greeted reliever Jacob Turner with a go-ahead, three-run homer in the sixth inning, and the Seattle Mariners beat the Washington Nationals 4-2 Thursday to stop a five-game losing streak.

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nelson Cruz greeted reliever Jacob Turner with a go-ahead, three-run homer in the sixth inning, and the Seattle Mariners beat the Washington Nationals 4-2 Thursday to stop a five-game losing streak.

    >>
  • New Orleans Saints Honor former Seahawks great Cortez Kennedy

    New Orleans Saints Honor former Seahawks great Cortez Kennedy

    Courtesy: Seattle SeahawksCourtesy: Seattle Seahawks

    The New Orleans Saints opened Organized Team Activities this week, and early Thursday — two days after the passing of Seahawks Legend Cortez Kennedy — the team unveiled a decal on their gold helmets to honor the Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle. On Twitter, the Saints announced they will sport a large No. 96 — Kennedy’s jersey number

    >>

    The New Orleans Saints opened Organized Team Activities this week, and early Thursday — two days after the passing of Seahawks Legend Cortez Kennedy — the team unveiled a decal on their gold helmets to honor the Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle. On Twitter, the Saints announced they will sport a large No. 96 — Kennedy’s jersey number

    >>