$14M Lottery Mystery Leaves Officials Baffled - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

$14M Lottery Mystery Leaves Officials Baffled

Posted: Updated:

YAHOO.COM - It is too late to collect on the $14.3 million Iowa Lotto ticket, but the state's Division of Criminal Investigation is still trying to determine who owned the ticket that was claimed and then abandoned to make sure no one was killed or blackmailed, officials told ABC News.

The Lotto ticket was purchased in December 2010 at a Des Moines, Iowa, gas station, but a claim for it only emerged nearly a year later, just hours before the deadline to claim the jackpot expired.

It was claimed by Crawford Shaw, 77, of Bedford, N.Y., who said he represented a trust that owned the ticket. He sent the ticket via FedEx to a law firm in Des Moines whose attorneys tried to collect on Shaw's behalf.

When Iowa officials challenged Shaw's ownership, he abandoned the claim and the ticket became worthless because the deadline to collect the winnings had passed.

Nevertheless, the probe into who was the owner of the bonanza continues.

"The possibilities of what could have occurred here really are endless," said Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer. "It could have been as serious as someone being killed, or someone being blackmailed. It's all within the realm of possibility. The whole situation is just strange."

The Iowa Lottery balked at paying Shaw because the owner would not come forward.

"Our security ran all the checks," Neubauer told ABC News. "There was no question that it was actually the winning ticket, but they couldn't answer some very simple security questions."

Neubauer said Shaw and his attorneys were unable to identify who bought the ticket, where it was purchased, and where the ticket had been for the year until the claim was made.

"In most instances, the people who come in to claim the prize answer the questions off the top of their heads in just a few minutes, so this was unusual the whole way through," she said.

According to Neubauer, Shaw said he didn't know the winner's identity and that the trust's proceeds would go to a corporation in Belize, a country that has a reputation as a tax haven.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has subpoenaed phone and email records in an effort to get to resolve the mystery. Officials say they are running down a couple of leads, but added no new information has emerged that would move the case forward in a significant way.

"The ticket could have been stolen or somebody might have been blackmailed," Jessica Lown, communications manager at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation told ABC News. "The important thing is that we want to sure there is nobody in physical jeopardy or that there is no financial crime going on."

When contacted by ABC News, Shaw refused to provide details on how he came into possession of the ticket.

"As far as I am concerned, this is old news," he said. "I've totally discussed this with the people in Iowa. They have a full record of the case. I have no comment."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:42 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:42:03 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>