13-Year-Old Behind 'Kill List' Released From Juvenile Detention - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

13-Year-Old Behind 'Kill List' Released From Juvenile Detention

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash - The 13-year-old boy who wrote a 'kill list' in class at Garry Middle School in Spokane on Friday has been released back to his family, after spending the weekend in the Juvenile Detention Center.

KHQ will not identify the boy, but he appeared in juvenile court Monday afternoon on a felony harassment (threats to kill) charge. His mother, step-father and grandparents were also present.

Newly-released documents in the case show the boy admitted to police that he made the list, that he called it his 'to kill list,' and said it started with people he didn't like.

The boy later said the list was a joke.

However, records show at least one fellow 8th grade girl whose name was on that list told police she was scared the boy may "carry out the threat he made."

A mental health evaluator determined the boy is not a threat to himself or others, and recommended he be released under the supervision of his parents.

The boy told the judge Monday, "I think I should be released because I'll follow all of the rules."

The judge agreed, and the boy is now back home with his family.

Those 'rules' include no contact with Garry Middle School or listed victims, no access to weapons, 24 hour supervision by his parents or grandparents and recommended counseling.

The boy has no prior juvenile record, and his mother told the court he does not have behavioral issues at home. His parents said there is no access to weapons in their home, and while his grandparents do have weapons in theirs, they are locked in a safe. The boy spends considerable time in both homes, as his grandparents help provide care while his parents are at work.

The judge said the boy has been emergency expelled from Garry Middle School, and his family will need to pursue a "re-entry meeting" with the district.

Spokane Public Schools could only say the boy was not at school Monday "pending further decisions."

KHQ reached out to the boy's family but they had no comment.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:42 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:42:03 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:33:53 GMT
    Courtesy NBC Right NowCourtesy NBC Right Now
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
  • Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:08:18 GMT
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
  • Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:01:23 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.>>
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.
    >>