Pregnant Prison Guard Accused Of Having Sex With Cop-Killing Inm - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Pregnant Prison Guard Accused Of Having Sex With Cop-Killing Inmate

Posted: Updated:

NBCNEWS.COM - A pregnant prison guard has been arrested for allegedly having sex with a convicted cop killer serving time for gunning down two NYPD detectives on Staten Island in 2003, sources familiar with the investigation tell NBC 4 New York.

The 29-year-old Bureau of Prisons employee, Nancy Gonzalez, was arrested Tuesday at her home on Long Island. Sources also tell NBC 4 New York that both Gonzalez and Ronell Wilson have made statements to investigators saying that the baby is his child.

Gonzalez is eight months pregnant. The charge is unlawful sexual abuse on a ward; it was not immediately known if she had a lawyer.

Court papers say that in a recorded call to another inmate at the federal prison in Brooklyn, Gonzalez allegedly said, "I took a chance because I was so vulnerable and wanted to be loved and now I am carrying his child." 

Gonzalez allegedly said during that same December conversation that she "kind of got sucked into his world" and that she "felt like, well, why not give him a child as far as giving him some kind of hope."

Wilson was convicted in December 2006 of shooting detectives James Nemorin and Rodney Andrews in the back of their heads in a car March 10, 2003 on Hannah Street in Staten Island. 

Authorities say in court papers that Gonzalez engaged in the romantic relationship from March to August of last year, and that she is seen on video in the federal prison spending several minutes at a time with the inmate in a vacant activity room.

Court papers also say she is seen on video standing at his cell door for "lengthy periods of time while the other inmates are locked into their cells at night."

During another recorded conversation with the other inmate, Gonzalez allegedly said she "just basically got wrapped up in something that I should not have got wrapped up," and described Wilson as an inmate so high-profile that "when he farts it makes the news."

She also allegedly expressed fears about what she would say to her future child about how he was conceived. 

"I know what is going to be said about me," she said. "I know that for me as a parent, how am I going to explain this to this little boy? ... Mommy got wrapped up ... And then the opposite end is with a person who took lives. So how do you explain that?"

Investigators first learned of the alleged relationship from other inmates, who told them they could see Gonzalez and the inmate "hugging and kissing" in the activity room.

Another inmate reported that he also saw the inmate standing at his cell, with the door propped open, exposing his genitals as Gonzalez left the cell, court papers say.

After receiving the tips from the inmates, investigators began reviewing video of Gonzalez at work.

Investigators say the relationship between Gonzalez and Wilson ended in August, and that she became involved with another inmate in September, telling him in recorded phone calls the details of how she became pregnant by Wilson.

Wilson was sentenced to death in the killing of the two police officers, but the sentence was thrown out in 2010 by an appeals court.

A new jury must decide his fate. But the trial's penalty phase has been put off as Wilson's lawyers seek to convince a judge that he's ineligible for the death penalty because he's mentally disabled.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:19 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:19:20 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-07-27 14:36:04 GMT
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.>>
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.>>
  • Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:55:02 GMT
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.>>
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.>>
  • 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:19 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:19:11 GMT
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.>>
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.>>