Coping With Trauma: A Decades-Long Fight - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Coping With Trauma: A Decades-Long Fight

POST FALLS, Wash – Every time Eric Haines of Post Falls sees a tragedy unfold in the headlines, like the massacre in Newtown, he panics.

That's because he knows what those kids will be going through 30 years from now.

He's one of them.

"I keep these articles hoping - doing everything I can to get through it, weed it out, try to make myself feel better," Haines said, sorting through newspaper articles in his Post Falls living room.

On July 19, 1981, when Haines was just 7 years old, he witnessed his grandmother's murder.

It happened at his grandmother's house in New Mexico; he was there with his mother and 3-year-old sister when he says his mother's abuse ex-boyfriend, Alex Gonzales, came in armed with a gun.

He chased his mother around the house before she escaped over the fence in the backyard.

"I know he took at least one shot at her," he recalled.

But then, Gonzales came back inside with a new target: Eric's grandmother.

Haines remembers taking his little sister to hide, when he heard noises.  He said his grandmother made it to the kitchen and was trying to get a knife to defend herself, when he heard gunfire.

"When she hit the floor, I was told I went and got a pillow and put her head under the pillow and sat there by her, and I couldn't help her I couldn't do anything," Haines recalled, tears coming to his eyes.  "I didn't have anybody to say, hey look, are you okay?"

As a little boy, Haines had to walk police through the house describing the horrific scene, and at just 8 years old, testified in Gonzales' trial.

"I remember looking at him, and he looked at me," he said.

Haines bottled up the pain and trauma of that day for decades.  He says his family never talked about it, and he never learned to process all he went through.  To this day, it's affecting his life as a husband and father.

"I blame myself that I could have done something, and the guilt - I know I couldn't have done anything but I still feel that way," Haines told KHQ.   "I have to deal with this because I've lost out on a lot of life."

Clinical psychologist Dr. Jennifer Van Wye told KHQ it's normal to have changes in your life after you've been through something traumatic.

"The first thing is to understand that what you've been through is very hard and you're going to have a reaction to it, and that's totally okay," she explained.

Dr. Van Wye said there are chemical changes that happen in the brain and body that can stay with you for months – even years.

"They may not be the same at work or at home, they probably don't sleep very well, they can be irritable or sad," she added.  "That doesn't mean anything's wrong, that's a normal response."

She says the most important thing to do is talk about what you've been through, even if you're not sure how you feel.

"The thing we know about people's reaction to a traumatic event is, often times they get better on their own," she explained.  "If you don't though, you're not going to get better on your own."

That's when you may need to call a psychologist, therapist or counselor to seek help, and Dr. Van Wye says it's never too late – even decades later.

"You can't ignore these traumas that these kids go through.  They have to be dealt with," Haines added.  "Don't let them do it by themselves.  Take me as an example."

Throwback Thursday! Look At 'Sunshine Shelly' Through The Years!

Thursday, March 20 2014 1:04 PM EDT2014-03-20 17:04:11 GMT
    KHQ.COM - It's throwback Thursday! Here is a slideshow we would like to share of Shelly Monahan through the years! For those of you who have been in Spokane for many years, and saw her through her "Sunshine Shelly" days, you will probably remember the Shelly from back in those days. Enjoy!>>

VIRAL VIDEO: Holy Moly! This girl is definitely NOT afraid of spiders!

Monday, September 1 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:00:12 GMT
    KHQ.COM - You don't even know what this girl is about to do to prove she is definitely NOT afraid of spiders! Is she crazy or just fearless? Would you do this for $500? $1,000? $20,000? >>>WATCH>>>>>

Barista-stand owner faces prostitution charge

Monday, September 1 2014 10:10 AM EDT2014-09-01 14:10:27 GMT
    EVERETT, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say the owner of bikini coffee stands in Washington state banked more than $2 million in just three years because her baristas were also selling sex acts. Snohomish County prosecutors charged 52-year-old former nude dancer Carmela Panico with promoting prostitution and money laundering, alleging that she was the madam of drive-thru brothels throughout the county north of Seattle.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

BREAKING: One person dead after hit & run in Spokane Valley

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:03 AM EDT2014-09-02 10:03:43 GMT
    One person is dead after a hit and run near I-90 Park Rd. in Spokane Valley. It happened around 1:30 am.>>

Police search for armed robbery suspect

Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:23 AM EDT2014-09-02 07:23:19 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A man walked into a Zip Trip gas station brandishing a hand gun and stole cash Monday night, according to Spokane Police.The robbery happened at about 10:30 p.m. at the Zip Trip on East Illinois Avenue, just north of where Perry Street intersects with Illinois. Spokane Police say the man walked in and showed employees the handgun. >>

Wildfire Victim Searches For Strength To Rebuild

Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:28 AM EDT2014-09-02 04:28:11 GMT
    ALTA LAKE, Wash. - "John Neuneker Sr. built almost everything on his property with his own two hands, including the home in which he and his wife Laurie raised their four children.“It was a family thing,” Neuneker told KHQ. “Not just my wife. My kids, all of us chipped in. We built the whole thing ourselves.” Their log cabin was one of many things Neuneker lost in the Carlton Complex Fire.>>