Ski Instructor’s Biggest Lesson: 'I Want To Live' - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Ski Instructor’s Biggest Lesson: 'I Want To Live'

MT. SPOKANE, Wash. - Ski instructor Scott Hackney has hit the slopes for 30 years, and in that time, he's been through quite a bit.

But it's the lessons he's learned that are so inspiring.

He served in the Army during the first Gulf War, overcome a battle with alcohol, has been on two expeditions to the Himalayas, and is spending three weeks this summer in the Grand Canyon.

But there's one thing he can't do: use his hands.

"I'm fighting a terminal disease," he told KHQ. "I'm fighting ALS."

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  It's a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain.  He was formally diagnosed a year ago, but began to notice cramps in his forearms and legs in 2004.

"Then in 2009, I noticed the muscle [between my thumb and first finger] in my hand had disappeared. That's when I said, ‘Scott, there's something seriously wrong with you.'"

It turns out, Hackney has been fighting ALS for 9 years, and it's a battle he's winning right now.

"Most people are in a wheelchair at 1-3 years, and dead at 5.  Not me," Hackney said.

So far, he's only lost the use of his hands. He can't write a check, hold ski poles, or dress himself very easily, but he can ski and he can teach.

Wednesday afternoon, KHQ cameras followed Hackney as he gave a lesson to 10-year-old Ashlyn L'Kert atop Mt. Spokane.

"I think he really helped me learn how to turn better," L'Kert said after the lesson.

Hackney told KHQ he does sometimes have to make modifications; for instance, if a student needs to use poles, he'll grab another instructor who can model how to hold them. But, Hackney adds, he doesn't know how to quit, and nothing – not even ALS – will keep him from the slopes.

"We've already buried my younger brother, many years ago," he added. "And I don't want [my parents] to bury another child.  It's not going to happen."

Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other

Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard.

Local actor charged with attempted murder after baseball bat attack

Thursday, August 17 2017 5:38 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:38:52 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - The man accused of Attempted Murder after Spokane Police say he beat a woman with a baseball bat Wednesday night made his first court appearance on Thursday.  41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm showed no emotion as a judge handed down a $100,000 bond on Thursday. Lindholm is a local actor whose most recent work includes a role in the Twin Peaks reboot.

What's a total solar eclipse and why this one is so unusual

Friday, August 18 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-18 21:45:13 GMT

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Total solar eclipses occur every year or two or three, often in the middle of nowhere like the South Pacific or Antarctic. What makes Monday's eclipse so special is that it will cut diagonally across the entire United States. The path of totality - where day briefly becomes night - will pass over Oregon, continuing through the heartland all the way to Charleston, South Carolina.

'Predator' actor Sonny Landham dead at 76

Friday, August 18 2017 5:44 PM EDT2017-08-18 21:44:28 GMT

NEW YORK - Sonny Landham, the muscular action-movie actor who co-starred in "Predator" and "48 Hrs," has died. He was 76. Landham's sister, Dawn Boehler, said the actor died from congestive heart failure Thursday at a Lexington, Kentucky, hospital. Landham was a brawny, deep-voiced actor and stunt man who played a bit part in Walter Hill's 1979 street-gang thriller "The Warriors."

3 Spokane Valley children killed in Alberta crash

Friday, August 18 2017 4:49 PM EDT2017-08-18 20:49:08 GMT

HANNA, Alberta - Three Spokane Valley children were killed in a car crash in Alberta earlier this week.  RCMP in Hanna, Alberta responded to the crash on Wednesday evening near the intersection of Highway 36 and 570. Investigation shows an SUV traveling westbound on Highway 570 collided with a semi-truck traveling south on Highway 36. The driver and the adult passenger of the SUV were taken to a Calgary hospital.