3-Year-Old Dies After House Fire In Lind - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

UPDATE: 3-Year-Old Dies After House Fire In Lind

Posted: Updated:

UPDATED PRESS RELEASE FROM THE ADAMS COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE: On February 20th 2013 at about 1840 hours the Adams County Sheriff's Office responded to a house fire on 2nd Street in Lind. Deputy Buriak was across the street and was first on scene. He was  advised by the parents that there was still a child in the house. He made several attempts to get to the child but because of the heat and smoke he was unable to get to her.  A short time later the Lind Fire Department arrived on scene and with the assistance of two firefighters they were able to get to the small child, and remove her from the house.

The child had severe burns over a large portion of her body and was transported to the Ritzville Hospital, then to Sacred Heart Medical Center and eventually to Harborview Medical Center, where the 3 year old female was pronounced deceased at 0556 hours on 2/21/2013. An autopsy was conducted on 2/22/2013 those results are pending.

Through investigation it was learned that the child had been put in the parent's upstairs bedroom to take a nap. Sometime later the father who was downstairs in the kitchen cooking dinner, smelled smoke, went out to the living room to check the fireplace, but did not see anything out of place and went back into the kitchen.

A short time later he again smelled smoke, left the kitchen and at this time found that the upstairs of the house was on fire and yelled at everyone to get out of the house. The victim's mother attempted to get the child, but because of the heat and smoke, was unable to reach her. She sustained burns to her face and hands.

It has also been learned that in the bedroom where the child was sleeping was a lit candle that was placed on a dresser. The candle is believed to be the source of ignition, surrounding the candle was a box of disposable diapers and clothing. Further inspection revealed that there were no smoke detectors in the house.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LIND, Wash. - A 3-year-old child has died in a house fire. The fire happened on 2nd St. in Lind, Wash. on Wednesday at 6:40pm. Adams County Deputy Buriak was across the street and was first on scene when it happened. Buriak was advised by the parents that there was a child in the house. He made several attempts to get to the child but because of the heat and smoke he was unable to get to her.

A short time later the Lind Fire Dept. arrived on scene and with the assistance of two firefighters they were able to get the small child out of the home. The child had severe burns over a large portion over her body. She was transported to the Ritzviille Hospital, then to Sacred Heart Medical Center and eventually to Harborview Medical Center where she was later pronounced dead. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday.

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 10 Cheapest Houses For Sale In Spokane

    10 Cheapest Houses For Sale In Spokane

    Wednesday, November 27 2013 2:35 AM EST2013-11-27 07:35:08 GMT
    Whether you are in the market for an affordable place to live or are in the business of flipping houses, here are the 10 cheapest homes for sale in Spokane according to AllSpokaneHomes.com.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Whether you are in the market for an affordable place to live or are in the business of flipping houses, here are the 10 cheapest homes for sale in Spokane according to AllSpokaneHomes.com. Yes, they all need some work and some need a lot more than others, but when your mortgage payment is around the $200/month range there's at least something to stay positive about.>>
  • INCREDIBLE drone video shows fire destruction over Pateros/Brewster

    INCREDIBLE drone video shows fire destruction over Pateros/Brewster

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:51 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:51:52 GMT
    KHQ.COM - Chelan HD Productions has given us permission to show this incredible video they shot with a drone surveying the damage done from the Carlton Complex Fire in the areas of Brewster and Pateros. This video is truly jaw dropping and really shows the level of destruction from the fire.>>
    KHQ.COM - Chelan HD Productions has given us permission to show this incredible video they shot with a drone surveying the damage done from the Carlton Complex Fire in the areas of Brewster and Pateros. This video is truly jaw dropping and really shows the level of destruction from the fire.>>
  • Do you know this person? Suspect still at large in Jitterz coffee stand robbery

    Do you know this person? Suspect still at large in Jitterz coffee stand robbery

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:14:57 GMT
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d’Alene Police Detectives and the North Idaho Violent Crimes Task Force are continuing to investigate the Robbery of The Jitterz coffee stand in the 2800 block of Government Way. The suspect is described as a white male, early 20’s, 5’08”-5’09”, very skinny build, white T-shirt, blue jean shorts.>>
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d’Alene Police Detectives and the North Idaho Violent Crimes Task Force are continuing to investigate the Robbery of The Jitterz coffee stand in the 2800 block of Government Way. The suspect is described as a white male, early 20’s, 5’08”-5’09”, very skinny build, white T-shirt, blue jean shorts.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS: Severe thunderstorms roll through the Inland Northwest

    PHOTOS: Severe thunderstorms roll through the Inland Northwest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:44 AM EDT2014-07-24 14:44:35 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A storm seemed to leave just as fast as it arrived Wednesday in Spokane. High winds blew over trees and utility lines, causing widespread power outages and some severe property damage. INSIDE>>>| Power Outages | PHOTOS |>>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A storm seemed to leave just as fast as it arrived Wednesday in Spokane. High winds blew over trees and utility lines, causing widespread power outages and some severe property damage. INSIDE>>>| Power Outages | PHOTOS |>>
  • House without power catches fire due to candle

    House without power catches fire due to candle

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:11 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:11:09 GMT
    KHQ.COM - There was heavy smoke hovering in the air this morning above Greenwood Avenue when firefighters responded to a structure fire at 5033 N. Greenwood around 3:30am. According to neighbors, a man lived in the basement of the home and a couple lived on the upper level.>>
    KHQ.COM - There was heavy smoke hovering in the air this morning above Greenwood Avenue when firefighters responded to a structure fire at 5033 N. Greenwood around 3:30am. According to neighbors, a man lived in the basement of the home and a couple lived on the upper level.>>
  • Storm damages RVs near Silverwood

    Storm damages RVs near Silverwood

    Thursday, July 24 2014 2:52 AM EDT2014-07-24 06:52:53 GMT
    ATHOL, Idaho - The storm that ripped through the Inland Northwest on Wednesday not only interrupted the fun at Silverwood Theme Park for a while, it also did some major damage to Silverwood's RV park across Highway 95. >>
    ATHOL, Idaho - The storm that ripped through the Inland Northwest on Wednesday not only interrupted the fun at Silverwood Theme Park for a while, it also did some major damage to Silverwood's RV park across Highway 95. Several RVs and cars were damaged due to falling branches and trees. Only one injury was reported, and it was a very minor knee injury.Multiple crews were called into to remove the downed trees. >>