Female Transgender MMA Fighter Being Investigated - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Female Transgender MMA Fighter Being Investigated

Posted: Updated:
Lights shine on a chain link fence before a fight; Photo courtesy USA Today Lights shine on a chain link fence before a fight; Photo courtesy USA Today

USATODAY.COM - A female transgender mixed martial arts fighter is now under investigation by the Florida State Boxing Commission.

"Our department is currently investigating allegations pertaining to the information provided on the application," said a spokesperson for the commission, which licensed Fallon Fox to fight as a woman.

SI.com reported that the 37-year-old Fox underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006 along with the supplemental hormonal therapy.

On Saturday, Fox knocked out a woman in 39 seconds at a fight in Coral Cables, Fla. As an amateur and professional, Fox holds an undefeated 5-0 record with all five wins coming in the first round.

On her license application for the bout, which was obtained by MMAjunkie.com, Fox said she had been licensed by the California State Athletic Commission, which likely helped procure a license in Florida. The California commission, however, said Fox's license, which was submitted in February and included medical documentation, was under review and not approved.

The FSBC confirmed that Fox received a pregnancy test per commission rules, but was not drug tested.

CSAC Executive Director Andy Foster said the commission was in the process of changing its forms to eliminate confusion over a receipt (which reflects a $60 licensing fee) that he believes was interpreted by Fallon as a license.

Fox told MMAjunkie.com that she didn't knowingly misrepresent herself to the Florida commission and thought she had been approved by California.

In the meantime, Fox's next bout, which was scheduled for April 20 as part of a semifinal bout in an eight-women tournament at 145 pounds, is on hold as her promoter, Cage Fighting Alliance, has canceled the event in a show of support.

"We stand 120,000 percent behind Fallon," CFA CEO Jorge De La Nova said. "She's a female. She's a very sweet girl. There's a lot of money on the line for her, and she's performed very well. We're going to give her a couple of weeks to see how this thing turns out."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • VIRAL VIDEO: Holy Moly! This girl is definitely NOT afraid of spiders!

    VIRAL VIDEO: Holy Moly! This girl is definitely NOT afraid of spiders!

    Monday, September 1 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:00:12 GMT
    KHQ.COM - You don't even know what this girl is about to do to prove she is definitely NOT afraid of spiders! Is she crazy or just fearless? Would you do this for $500? $1,000? $20,000? >>>WATCH>>>>>
    KHQ.COM - You don't even know what this girl is about to do to prove she is definitely NOT afraid of spiders! Is she crazy or just fearless? Would you do this for $500? $1,000? $20,000? >>>WATCH>>>>>
  • One person dead after hit & run in Spokane Valley

    One person dead after hit & run in Spokane Valley

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:02 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:02:36 GMT
    KHQ.COM - One person is dead after a hit and run near I-90 Park Rd. in Spokane Valley. It happened around 1:30 am on Tuesday. At this point police do not have a suspect description but are asking for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call Crime Check at 509-456-2233.>>
    KHQ.COM - One person is dead after a hit and run near I-90 Park Rd. in Spokane Valley. It happened around 1:30 am on Tuesday. At this point police do not have a suspect description but are asking for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call Crime Check at 509-456-2233.>>
  • TRENDING: Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    TRENDING: Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    Monday, September 1 2014 3:50 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:50:31 GMT
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online. Intimate images of the Oscar winning actress began appearing online on Sunday and nude images purported to be of other female celebrities were also being circulated online.>>
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online. Intimate images of the Oscar winning actress began appearing online on Sunday and nude images purported to be of other female celebrities were also being circulated online.
    >>
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Video released by ISIS shows beheading of US journalist

    Video released by ISIS shows beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:14:48 GMT
    BEIRUT (AP) - An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. >>
    BEIRUT (AP) - An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.>>
  • UPDATE: Joan Rivers 'Resting Comfortably' at Mount Sinai in New York

    UPDATE: Joan Rivers 'Resting Comfortably' at Mount Sinai in New York

    Friday, August 29 2014 12:45 AM EDT2014-08-29 04:45:02 GMT
    NEW YORK (AP) - Comedian Joan Rivers is in a New York City hospital, according to police and hospital officials who say she was rushed there from a doctor's office after going into cardiac arrest.Rivers' daughter later issued a statement about her mother's condition.>>
    NEW YORK (AP) - Comedian Joan Rivers is in a New York City hospital, according to police and hospital officials who say she was rushed there from a doctor's office after going into cardiac arrest.Rivers' daughter later issued a statement about her mother's condition.
    >>
  • VA: No proof delays in veteran care caused hospital deaths

    VA: No proof delays in veteran care caused hospital deaths

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 9:11 PM EDT2014-08-27 01:11:37 GMT
    KHQ.COM- The Department of Veterans Affairs says there's no proof that delays in care caused any deaths at the VA hospital in Phoenix, Ariz.Revelations that as many as 40 veterans died while awaiting care rocked the agency this past spring, bringing to light scheduling problems and allegations of misconduct at other hospitals as well.NBC News obtained a draft report from the VA's Office of Inspector General Tuesday. The draft report says while investigators found substantial delays in care an...>>
    KHQ.COM- The Department of Veterans Affairs says there's no proof that delays in care caused any deaths at the VA hospital in Phoenix, Ariz.Revelations that as many as 40 veterans died while awaiting care rocked the agency this past spring, bringing to light scheduling problems and allegations of misconduct at other hospitals as well.NBC News obtained a draft report from the VA's Office of Inspector General Tuesday. The draft report says while investigators found substantial delays in care an...>>