Rutgers Has Fired Men's Basketball Coach Mike Rice - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Rutgers Has Fired Men's Basketball Coach Mike Rice

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) - The man who's been fired as basketball coach at Rutgers in New Jersey says there's "no excuse" for his behavior seen in video excerpts of his team's practice sessions.
    
In the video, Mike Rice is seen shoving and grabbing players, throwing balls at them and using gay slurs.
    
The school's athletic director first saw the video in November, and decided to suspend Rice for three games and fine him. And the school's president signed off on that punishment.
    
But now that the tape had been broadcast on ESPN, there have been calls for the school to fire the coach. And it did so today.
    
Rice emerged from his home this morning to speak to reporters outside and apologize for his conduct. He said his family was huddled inside the house because, in his words, "their father was an embarrassment to them." He said he'd let them down -- along with his players, their fans and the university.
    
Rice said he vowed to change after he first saw the video three months ago -- and he thinks he's "accomplished a lot of that."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • CdA parents concerned over Zipfizz sale; school district responds

    CdA parents concerned over Zipfizz sale; school district responds

    Monday, October 22 2018 10:46 PM EDT2018-10-23 02:46:38 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Ashley Bales says her daughter came home from school one day and told her about classmates at Woodland Middle School selling something she was concerned with, Zipfizz. "With my daughter having a preexisting health conditions it got me concerned for other kids in the same position to be being sold that without their parents having knowledge of it," Bales said.

    >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Ashley Bales says her daughter came home from school one day and told her about classmates at Woodland Middle School selling something she was concerned with, Zipfizz. "With my daughter having a preexisting health conditions it got me concerned for other kids in the same position to be being sold that without their parents having knowledge of it," Bales said.

    >>
  • Suspect from fatal hit-and-run crash in Liberty Lake arrested

    Suspect from fatal hit-and-run crash in Liberty Lake arrested

    Monday, October 22 2018 10:05 PM EDT2018-10-23 02:05:30 GMT

    LIBERTY LAKE, Wash. - A suspect from a fatal hit-and-run crash in Liberty Lake last Thursday has been arrested. After the suspect vehicle was towed to the Liberty Lake Police Department, a search warrant was executed with the assistance of Washington State Patrol. Based on evidence collected, police developed probable cause to arrest 21-year-old Pavel Kanyushkin.

    >>

    LIBERTY LAKE, Wash. - A suspect from a fatal hit-and-run crash in Liberty Lake last Thursday has been arrested. After the suspect vehicle was towed to the Liberty Lake Police Department, a search warrant was executed with the assistance of Washington State Patrol. Based on evidence collected, police developed probable cause to arrest 21-year-old Pavel Kanyushkin.

    >>
  • Changes to Washington overtime rules could increase worker eligibility

    Changes to Washington overtime rules could increase worker eligibility

    Tuesday, October 23 2018 1:24 AM EDT2018-10-23 05:24:23 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Proposed changes to Washington state's overtime rules could make more professional workers eligible for time-and-a-half pay. The Spokesman-Review reports a draft concept by the state Department of Labor and Industries proposes overtime eligibility for workers earning up to $74,800 in 2019. The proposals are linked to a multiplier of the state's minimum wage, which will increase to $12 per hour next year and $13.50 per hour in 2020.   

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Proposed changes to Washington state's overtime rules could make more professional workers eligible for time-and-a-half pay. The Spokesman-Review reports a draft concept by the state Department of Labor and Industries proposes overtime eligibility for workers earning up to $74,800 in 2019. The proposals are linked to a multiplier of the state's minimum wage, which will increase to $12 per hour next year and $13.50 per hour in 2020.   

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

    Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

    Tuesday, October 23 2018 12:56 AM EDT2018-10-23 04:56:07 GMT

    (AP) - Twitter says it has removed accounts linked to conspiracy-monger Alex Jones and Infowars. A Twitter spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the accounts had been removed. There was no additional comment from the company. Twitter permanently suspended realalexjones and infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September. 

    >>

    (AP) - Twitter says it has removed accounts linked to conspiracy-monger Alex Jones and Infowars. A Twitter spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the accounts had been removed. There was no additional comment from the company. Twitter permanently suspended realalexjones and infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September. 

    >>
  • Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-10-23 00:43:44 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>
  • Judge upholds Monsanto verdict, cuts award to $78 million

    Judge upholds Monsanto verdict, cuts award to $78 million

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:41 PM EDT2018-10-23 00:41:30 GMT
    Cropped Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0Cropped Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A Northern California judge has upheld a jury's verdict finding Monsanto's weed killer caused a groundskeeper's cancer, but she slashed his $289 million award to $78 million. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos ruled Monday A San Francisco jury's August verdict included $250 million in punitive damages, which the judge said was too high.

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A Northern California judge has upheld a jury's verdict finding Monsanto's weed killer caused a groundskeeper's cancer, but she slashed his $289 million award to $78 million. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos ruled Monday A San Francisco jury's August verdict included $250 million in punitive damages, which the judge said was too high.

    >>