HAVRE, Mont. (AP) - A Havre High School student who learned the Heimlich maneuver as a Boy Scout, and even teaches it to younger Scouts, recently saved the life of a fellow student who was choking at lunch.
The Havre Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/141B2kt) Kade Lanier mentioned it to his mother when he got home from school on April 17, but Franklin Walter's teacher says Kade's actions are worth more than just a mention.
Jamie Standaert says Franklin is a special needs student who is physically fragile, and without Kade's fast action, he could have quickly suffered irreparable harm from lack of oxygen. Standaert says Kade also knew not to use too much force to avoid breaking Franklin's ribs.
Kade's dad, Bill Lanier, says he's proud of his son.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)