Male Rape Survivors Tackle Military Assualt In Tough-Guy Culture - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Male Rape Survivors Tackle Military Assualt In Tough-Guy Culture

Former Navy Petty Officer Third Class Brian Lewis Former Navy Petty Officer Third Class Brian Lewis

By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor

Amid the legislation and indignation sparked by the military's sexual abuse crisis, male rape survivors are stepping forward to remind officials that men are targeted more often than women inside a tough-guy culture that, they say, routinely deems male victims as "liars and trouble makers."

The Pentagon estimates that last year 13,900 of the 1.2 million men on active duty endured sexual assault while 12,100 of the 203,000 women in uniform experienced the same crime — or 38 men per day versus 33 women per day. Yet the Defense Department also acknowledges "male survivors report at much lower rates than female survivors."

"As a culture, we've somewhat moved past the idea that a female wanted this trauma to occur, but we haven't moved past that for male survivors," said Brian Lewis, a rape survivor who served in the Navy. "In a lot of areas of the military, men are still viewed as having wanted it or of being homosexual. That's not correct at all. It's a crime of power and control."

"But also, you're instantly viewed as a liar and a troublemaker (when a man reports a sex crime), and there's the notion that you have abandoned your shipmates, that you took a crap all over your shipmates, that you misconstrued their horseplay," he added.

Lewis, who was raped by a male superior officer aboard a Navy ship in 2000, spoke Thursday at a press conference introducing a bill that seeks to strip serious sex assaults from the military's chain of command. At that event, he said: "Too often male survivors are ignored and marginalized."

"The biggest reasons men don't come forward (with sex assault reports) are the fear of retaliation (from fellow troops), the fear of being viewed in a weaker light, and the fact there are very few, if any, services for male survivors," Lewis told NBC News.

Men in the spotlight

All sexual assault response coordinators within the military are instructed to provide "gender-responsive, culturally competent and recovery-oriented" resources, said Cynthia O. Smith, a Pentagon spokeswoman. 

"Based on that guidance, each of the services customizes its training and implementation specific to their service," Smith said. DOD offers a 24/7 "safe helpline" providing anonymous victim support, and its staffers "have been trained to assist male victims."

Still, the Defense Department acknowledges it must do more to help male victims.

"A focus of our prevention efforts over the next several months is specifically geared towards male survivors and will include (learning) why male survivors report at much lower rates than female survivors, and determining the unique support and assistance male survivors need," Smith said.

The Pentagon "has reached out to organizations supporting male survivors for assistance and information to help inform our way ahead," she added.

"I applaud that stand on behalf of male survivors," Lewis said. "However, I would be interested in hearing what organizations they are partnering with considering there are none especially geared for male survivors of military sexual trauma."

'Critical' part of process

At Protect Our Defenders, a leading advocacy group for male and female service members who've survived sexual assaults, president Nancy Parrish said she would welcome the chance to offer guidance to the Pentagon as it develops better programs to support male sex assault victims.

"As of yet, we have not been asked to participate in such an endeavor," Parrish said. "For the success of the military efforts to end the ongoing epidemic of male and female military sexual assaults, it is critical that survivors are part of the process."

An annual DOD report on sexual abuse, released May 7, described separate attacks on two male soldiers who were shoved down by fellow troops then sodomized with a plastic bottle or broom handle.

Next month, a documentary called "Justice Denied" — which explores sexual assaults against men in the military — premiers at the Albuquerque Film Festival.

Assaults on men have been "carefully hidden from the public and covered up," not only by the victims themselves but also by superiors within the chain of command, contends the film's producer and co-director Geri Lynn Weinstein-Matthews. "It's time for men to have their voices heard. It's time for them to stand up against these vicious attacks and against the deception of some of their commanding officers."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man said he was high on DXM when he randomly stabbed Spokane Valley boy

    Man said he was high on DXM when he randomly stabbed Spokane Valley boy

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 12:14 AM EST2018-11-20 05:14:38 GMT

    A man, claiming to be "the spawn of Lucifer," said he stabbed an eight-year-old boy because he "felt like he had to kill a child" and that it was "almost like a sacrifice." 30-year-old Bruce Derek Landahl was arrested Saturday for allegedly entering the HiCo store on Sprague, walking up to an eight-year-old boy playing on an iPad and stabbing him multiple times before the boy's father was able to stop him. 

    >>

    A man, claiming to be "the spawn of Lucifer," said he stabbed an eight-year-old boy because he "felt like he had to kill a child" and that it was "almost like a sacrifice." 30-year-old Bruce Derek Landahl was arrested Saturday for allegedly entering the HiCo store on Sprague, walking up to an eight-year-old boy playing on an iPad and stabbing him multiple times before the boy's father was able to stop him. 

    >>
  • E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    E-coli concerns trigger recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef

    Monday, November 19 2018 1:23 PM EST2018-11-19 18:23:43 GMT

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>

    JBS USA has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef due to concerns about possible e-coli contamination. The products have the establishment number Est.628 and were produced on October 24th. Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.  

    >>
  • How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    How you can help the family of 8-year-old boy randomly stabbed at Spokane Valley gas station

    Monday, November 19 2018 9:46 PM EST2018-11-20 02:46:19 GMT

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>

    Several locals are trying to help the family of an eight-year-old boy, who was randomly stabbed at a gas station Saturday. Rayel Von Quade said she and three others (Salem Rose Sovereign, Quincey Brooks and Dani Loup) have been in touch with the Bush family. (KHQ has reached out to the family and have not heard back.) "They're, of course, very overwhelmed and stressed out right now and she's been dealing with a lot of messages from a lot of people coming through. But she says t...

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Judge bars US from enforcing Trump asylum ban

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 2:08 AM EST2018-11-20 07:08:59 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge has temporarily barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.  U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order Monday after hearing arguments in San Francisco.  

    >>
  • Trump criticizes war hero for not capturing bin Laden sooner

    Trump criticizes war hero for not capturing bin Laden sooner

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 12:35 AM EST2018-11-20 05:35:36 GMT
    Gage Skidmore / CC BY-SA 2.0 / U.S. NavyGage Skidmore / CC BY-SA 2.0 / U.S. Navy

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump has ignited a firestorm of criticism and charges that he is politicizing the military by faulting a war hero for not capturing al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden sooner. Former CIA director Leon Panetta said Trump owed an apology to retired Adm. William McRaven, who had said Trump's assertion that the news media was the "enemy of the people" was "the greatest threat to democracy" in his lifetime. 

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump has ignited a firestorm of criticism and charges that he is politicizing the military by faulting a war hero for not capturing al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden sooner. Former CIA director Leon Panetta said Trump owed an apology to retired Adm. William McRaven, who had said Trump's assertion that the news media was the "enemy of the people" was "the greatest threat to democracy" in his lifetime. 

    >>
  • Sheriff: Northern California wildfire death toll rises to 79

    Sheriff: Northern California wildfire death toll rises to 79

    Monday, November 19 2018 10:33 PM EST2018-11-20 03:33:41 GMT

    PARADISE, Calif. (AP) - A Northern California sheriff says two more sets of human remains were found Monday, bringing the total number killed in a devastating California wildfire to 79. Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea says the list of names of those unaccounted for after a deadly wildfire has dropped to around 700. 

    >>

    PARADISE, Calif. (AP) - A Northern California sheriff says two more sets of human remains were found Monday, bringing the total number killed in a devastating California wildfire to 79. Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea says the list of names of those unaccounted for after a deadly wildfire has dropped to around 700. 

    >>