Face-Chewing Victim Continues Recovery In Miami - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Face-Chewing Victim Continues Recovery In Miami

MIAMI (AP) - A homeless man whose face was mostly chewed off in a bizarre attack last year in Miami says he doesn't want any more reconstructive surgery.
    
Ronald Poppo spent nearly a month in a hospital after the attack alongside a Miami highway. Since then, he's been living in a long-term care facility.
    
The attack left him blind and disfigured. Poppo's doctors said Tuesday he knows he's lost his nose and his left eye completely, but he's satisfied with the surgeries and skin grafts that have closed his wounds.
    
A video posted online by the hospital that has been caring for Poppo shows him sitting in a hospital bed, wearing a baseball cap and strumming a guitar.
    
Facing the camera, Poppo thanks the public for their contributions and support.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man said he was high on DXM when he randomly stabbed Spokane Valley boy

    Man said he was high on DXM when he randomly stabbed Spokane Valley boy

    Sunday, November 18 2018 10:37 PM EST2018-11-19 03:37:04 GMT

    A man, claiming to be "the spawn of Lucifer," said he stabbed an eight-year-old boy because he "felt like he had to kill a child" and that it was "almost like a sacrifice." 30-year-old Bruce Derek Landahl was arrested Saturday for allegedly entering the HiCo store on Sprague, walking up to an eight-year-old boy playing on an iPad and stabbing him multiple times before the boy's father was able to stop him. 

    >>

    A man, claiming to be "the spawn of Lucifer," said he stabbed an eight-year-old boy because he "felt like he had to kill a child" and that it was "almost like a sacrifice." 30-year-old Bruce Derek Landahl was arrested Saturday for allegedly entering the HiCo store on Sprague, walking up to an eight-year-old boy playing on an iPad and stabbing him multiple times before the boy's father was able to stop him. 

    >>
  • Body discovered near where Spokane man went missing from 49ers game

    Body discovered near where Spokane man went missing from 49ers game

    Sunday, November 18 2018 12:40 PM EST2018-11-18 17:40:52 GMT

    Almost a week after 32-year-old Ian Powers of Spokane went missing after a San Francisco 49ers game, Santa Clara police receive reports that a man’s body was discovered nearby. 

    >>

    Almost a week after 32-year-old Ian Powers of Spokane went missing after a San Francisco 49ers game, Santa Clara police receive reports that a man’s body was discovered nearby. 

    >>
  • Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Man in custody after stabbing eight-year-old boy in Spokane Valley

    Sunday, November 18 2018 12:06 AM EST2018-11-18 05:06:41 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A 30-year-old male is facing attempted murder charges after stabbing an eight-year-old boy at a HiCo store in Spokane Valley Saturday night. Around 4:30 p.m, Spokane Valley Deputies responded to a call of two males fighting along with the reported stabbing. 

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th

    Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th

    Thursday, November 15 2018 5:51 PM EST2018-11-15 22:51:44 GMT

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th.

    >>

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th.

    >>
  • Sheriff: Death toll rises to 56 in California wildfire

    Sheriff: Death toll rises to 56 in California wildfire

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 9:32 PM EST2018-11-15 02:32:47 GMT

    CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities have reported eight more fatalities from a blaze in Northern California, bringing the total number of fatalities so far to 56 in the deadliest wildfire in state history. The announcement came Wednesday after authorities ramped up the search for more victims and said that 130 people were still unaccounted for.  

    >>

    CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities have reported eight more fatalities from a blaze in Northern California, bringing the total number of fatalities so far to 56 in the deadliest wildfire in state history. The announcement came Wednesday after authorities ramped up the search for more victims and said that 130 people were still unaccounted for.  

    >>
  • Official: Michael Avenatti in Los Angeles police custody

    Official: Michael Avenatti in Los Angeles police custody

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 6:41 PM EST2018-11-14 23:41:29 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A law enforcement official says Michael Avenatti is in police custody in Los Angeles following an allegation of domestic violence. The official says Avenatti was taken into custody Wednesday. Police had responded to a domestic violence incident a day earlier and took a report.    

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A law enforcement official says Michael Avenatti is in police custody in Los Angeles following an allegation of domestic violence. The official says Avenatti was taken into custody Wednesday. Police had responded to a domestic violence incident a day earlier and took a report.    

    >>