Netizen Outrage After Chinese Tourist Defaces Egyptian Temple - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Netizen Outrage After Chinese Tourist Defaces Egyptian Temple

Hong Kong (CNN) -- Parents of a 15-year-old Chinese tourist have apologized after the teenager defaced a stone sculpture in an ancient Egyptian temple with graffiti.

The act drew ire in both Egypt and China -- generating a massive online backlash amongst China's unforgiving netizens.

The vandal carved 'Ding Jinhao was here' in Chinese in the 3,500 year old Luxor Temple.

This was photographed by an embarrassed Chinese traveler and shared on weibo, China's micro-blogging site on May 24.

"The saddest moment in Egypt. I'm so embarrassed that I want to hide myself. I said to the Egyptian tour guide,'I'm really sorry,'" that traveler wrote on the original weibo post.

"We want to wipe off the marking with a towel. But we can't use water since it is a 3,500 relic."

It didn't take long -- actually, just a day -- before outraged netizens tracked down Ding in Nanjing.

Slammed online and exposed further in the mainstream, Ding's parents quickly contacted media outlets.

"We want to apologize to the Egyptian people and to people who have paid attention to this case across China," Ding's mother said in a China Daily report.

Ding's parents said they shouldered the responsibility of what their son did, adding he had learned his lesson.

The original weibo post was re-tweeted almost 90,000 times, received over 18,000 comments and was widely distributed across local media.

"Reading this disastrous news this morning is heartbreaking. I despise this behavior, especially in Egypt -- the place I love. Now, I just want to say 'Sorry' to Egypt," commented weibo user "Net bug jing jing."

"It's a disgrace to our entire race!" said another angry micro-blogger.

In a state-run Xinhua media report, one of the agency's photographers said local Egyptian staff had worked to try and clean the sculpture. While there was some improvement, the graffiti could not be totally removed.

Outbound Chinese tourism has expanded rapidly in recent years. In 2012, Chinese overtook Americans and Germans as the world's top international tourism spenders, with 83 million people spending a record US$102 billion on international tourism.

That growth has brought with it a backlash in some industry sectors.

Earlier this month, Beijing called on its nation's tourists to improve their behavior, with Vice Premier Wang Yang stating it was important to project a good image of Chinese tourists.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Can you prank your mom? 'The 25 pound turkey challenge'

    Wednesday, December 21 2016 2:36 PM EST2016-12-21 19:36:25 GMT

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>

    KHQ.COM - Most mothers can only hope by the time their children grow up and move out of the house, they've learned all the necessary things to be a successful adult, including the basic knowledge that a turkey must be cooked in an oven, or perhaps in a smoker... NOT in a microwave. For this reason a new prank-challenge going around on Facebook is resulting in some hilarious text conversations between mothers and their grown children.

    >>
  • Spokane Police investigating death of man shot during sex

    Spokane Police investigating death of man shot during sex

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 8:45 PM EST2018-11-15 01:45:55 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police are investigating the death of a man who reportedly shot himself in the head during sex. In a search warrant filed Nov. 8 in Spokane Superior Court, a detective wrote that around 2 a.m. on Nov. 4, police were called to a home in the 7800 block of North Morton Ave. after a woman said her partner shot himself in the head. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police are investigating the death of a man who reportedly shot himself in the head during sex. In a search warrant filed Nov. 8 in Spokane Superior Court, a detective wrote that around 2 a.m. on Nov. 4, police were called to a home in the 7800 block of North Morton Ave. after a woman said her partner shot himself in the head. 

    >>
  • Couple, homeless man charged in charitable scam

    Couple, homeless man charged in charitable scam

    Thursday, November 15 2018 2:39 PM EST2018-11-15 19:39:47 GMT

    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser. Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday.

    >>

    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser. Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th

    Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th

    Thursday, November 15 2018 5:51 PM EST2018-11-15 22:51:44 GMT

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th.

    >>

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, November 15th.

    >>
  • Sheriff: Death toll rises to 56 in California wildfire

    Sheriff: Death toll rises to 56 in California wildfire

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 9:32 PM EST2018-11-15 02:32:47 GMT

    CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities have reported eight more fatalities from a blaze in Northern California, bringing the total number of fatalities so far to 56 in the deadliest wildfire in state history. The announcement came Wednesday after authorities ramped up the search for more victims and said that 130 people were still unaccounted for.  

    >>

    CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities have reported eight more fatalities from a blaze in Northern California, bringing the total number of fatalities so far to 56 in the deadliest wildfire in state history. The announcement came Wednesday after authorities ramped up the search for more victims and said that 130 people were still unaccounted for.  

    >>
  • Official: Michael Avenatti in Los Angeles police custody

    Official: Michael Avenatti in Los Angeles police custody

    Wednesday, November 14 2018 6:41 PM EST2018-11-14 23:41:29 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A law enforcement official says Michael Avenatti is in police custody in Los Angeles following an allegation of domestic violence. The official says Avenatti was taken into custody Wednesday. Police had responded to a domestic violence incident a day earlier and took a report.    

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - A law enforcement official says Michael Avenatti is in police custody in Los Angeles following an allegation of domestic violence. The official says Avenatti was taken into custody Wednesday. Police had responded to a domestic violence incident a day earlier and took a report.    

    >>