Tech Pleads Guilty In Hepatitis C Outbreak - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Tech Pleads Guilty In Hepatitis C Outbreak

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A traveling hospital technician accused of causing a multistate outbreak of hepatitis C last year has pleaded guilty to federal drug charges in New Hampshire.
    
David Kwiatkowski (kwiht-KOW'-skee) was accused of stealing painkiller syringes from Exeter Hospital and replacing them with saline-filled syringes tainted with his blood.
    
Originally from Michigan, he worked in 18 hospitals in seven states before being hired in New Hampshire in 2011. Forty-six people in four states have been diagnosed with the same strain of hepatitis C he carries.
    
The 34-year-old Kwiatkowski pleaded guilty Wednesday to 14 charges of drug theft and tampering under a plea agreement calling for him to serve 30 to 40 years in prison and avoid charges in other states. He will be sentenced at a later date.
    
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
    
In his five-year career as a traveling medical technician, the longest that David Kwiatkowski ever stayed in one place was the 13 months he spent at New Hampshire's Exeter Hospital. He's now spent an equal amount of time in jail, and his next stop will be federal prison for far longer.
    
Kwiatkowski was scheduled to plead guilty Wednesday to 14 federal drug charges in exchange for a sentence of 30 to 40 years in prison. He will be sentenced at a later date, probably in November, U.S. Attorney John Kacavas said.
    
Originally from Michigan, Kwiatkowski worked in 18 hospitals in seven states before being hired in New Hampshire in 2011. As a traveling hospital technician, he was assigned by staffing agencies to fill temporary openings around the country. Along the way, he contracted hepatitis C, and is accused of infecting others by stealing painkiller syringes and replacing them with saline-filled syringes tainted with his blood.
    
According to a plea agreement filed Monday, Kwiatkowski told investigators he had been stealing drugs since 2002 - the year before he finished his medical training - and that his actions were "killing a lot of people." His lawyers have declined numerous interview requests.
    
Forty-six people in four states in hospitals where Kwiatkowski worked have been diagnosed with the same strain of hepatitis C he carries: 32 patients in New Hampshire, seven in Maryland, six in Kansas, and one in Pennsylvania. One of the Kansas patients died, and authorities say hepatitis C, which can cause liver disease and chronic health problems, played a contributing role.
    
In New Hampshire, some of the infected patients have suffered serious physical and emotional issues, according to the plea agreement. Among the seven whose experiences led to the 14 charges, one man hasn't been able to work since developing hepatitis C, another has had trouble controlling his diabetes and sleeping at night and a third is afraid to kiss his wife on the lips, even though the blood-borne virus can't be transmitted that way.
    
In most of those seven cases, Kwiatkowski was not assigned to assist with the procedures but hospital records showed him accessing the painkillers. In one case, he came in on his day off and insisted on staying even after being told he could go home. One patient remembers not feeling much different after receiving two doses of what was supposed to be a powerful painkiller.
    
With his plea, Kwiatkowski will avoid criminal charges pertaining to patients outside New Hampshire. At least two dozen civil lawsuits related to his case are pending, most of them against Exeter Hospital.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Vehicle goes over embankment at High Drive & 33rd, one person dead

    Monday, October 22 2018 9:19 PM EDT2018-10-23 01:19:10 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say one person has died after driving over the embankment near High Drive and 33rd.  The victim hasn't been identified.  Crews will be working in the area for the foreseeable future so avoid the area if you can.  The cause of the crash is under investigation. 

    >>
  • One man dead, another arrested after shooting near Post Falls

    One man dead, another arrested after shooting near Post Falls

    Sunday, October 21 2018 10:57 AM EDT2018-10-21 14:57:39 GMT

    POST FALLS, Idaho - Kootenai County Deputies arrested a man for involuntary manslaughter after they say he shot and killed another man Saturday evening near Post Falls. Deputies responded to reports of a shooting on Gallatin Way near Post Falls just before 7 pm. Deputies and medical personnel arrived and found a man, identified as Tyler S. Liles, with a single gunshot wound.

    >>

    POST FALLS, Idaho - Kootenai County Deputies arrested a man for involuntary manslaughter after they say he shot and killed another man Saturday evening near Post Falls. Deputies responded to reports of a shooting on Gallatin Way near Post Falls just before 7 pm. Deputies and medical personnel arrived and found a man, identified as Tyler S. Liles, with a single gunshot wound.

    >>
  • PHOTOS: Family treasures stolen from Spokane family

    PHOTOS: Family treasures stolen from Spokane family

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:33 AM EDT2018-10-22 12:33:01 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies continue to investigate a break-in that happened Tuesday morning at approximately 8:08 AM. The victims say precious family treasures were stolen. "I stayed home for a few days after it happened," said Mandie Snyder.

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies continue to investigate a break-in that happened Tuesday morning at approximately 8:08 AM. The victims say precious family treasures were stolen. "I stayed home for a few days after it happened," said Mandie Snyder. "I wanted to stay here. I wanted to stay here and protect my house." Snyder says their Ring doorbell camera captured a man lurking around their property and then kicking their front door several times.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

    Twitter removes accounts linked to Alex Jones, Infowars

    Tuesday, October 23 2018 12:56 AM EDT2018-10-23 04:56:07 GMT

    (AP) - Twitter says it has removed accounts linked to conspiracy-monger Alex Jones and Infowars. A Twitter spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the accounts had been removed. There was no additional comment from the company. Twitter permanently suspended realalexjones and infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September. 

    >>

    (AP) - Twitter says it has removed accounts linked to conspiracy-monger Alex Jones and Infowars. A Twitter spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the accounts had been removed. There was no additional comment from the company. Twitter permanently suspended realalexjones and infowars from Twitter and Periscope in early September. 

    >>
  • Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Supreme Court: Ross can't be questioned in census suit

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-10-23 00:43:44 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross does not have to give out-of-court testimony about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The order Monday comes in response to lawsuits filed by more than a dozen states and big cities, among others, that challenge whether the citizenship question can be legally included.  

    >>
  • Judge upholds Monsanto verdict, cuts award to $78 million

    Judge upholds Monsanto verdict, cuts award to $78 million

    Monday, October 22 2018 8:41 PM EDT2018-10-23 00:41:30 GMT
    Cropped Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0Cropped Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A Northern California judge has upheld a jury's verdict finding Monsanto's weed killer caused a groundskeeper's cancer, but she slashed his $289 million award to $78 million. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos ruled Monday A San Francisco jury's August verdict included $250 million in punitive damages, which the judge said was too high.

    >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A Northern California judge has upheld a jury's verdict finding Monsanto's weed killer caused a groundskeeper's cancer, but she slashed his $289 million award to $78 million. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos ruled Monday A San Francisco jury's August verdict included $250 million in punitive damages, which the judge said was too high.

    >>