Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.
   
Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.
   
Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.
   
Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.
   
He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.  

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.  

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.  

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.  

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.  

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    UPDATE: High Drive brush fire now 100% contained

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:42 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:42:03 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Monday afternoon a brush fire broke out on the west side of Spokane's South Hill. The fire, which broke out around 3pm, was burning on the hill between High Drive and Qualchan Golf Course. By 9pm Monday night the fire was 100% contained. This does not necessarily mean the fire is totally out, but that crews are confident it won't spread and will be out soon.>>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • 44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:33:53 GMT
    Courtesy NBC Right NowCourtesy NBC Right Now
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.>>
  • Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:08:18 GMT
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.>>
  • Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:01:23 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.>>
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.
    >>