Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

Court documents offer new details in case of teens found in box truck

Monday, June 18 2018 9:09 PM EDT2018-06-19 01:09:44 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Some would call this a mobile drug den: rocks of meth, a hand gun, knife, and nearly naked teens locked in the back. A newly released search warrant filed by Spokane Police details Shonn Anderson and the teens had met up on Facebook Messenger. One of the teens told police that they messaged Anderson asking if he would sell them meth for $40.

Mother of six charged with first degree murder for shooting man in head outside her home

Monday, June 18 2018 5:32 PM EDT2018-06-18 21:32:42 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - A 32-year-old woman has been charged with first degree murder for shooting a man in the head last week. Brittany Korzonthowski was initially charged with attempted murder for shooting Caleb Tipton. Tipton was taken off life support last week. In a court hearing Monday, Korzonthowski was charged with first degree murder.

UPDATE: Motorcycle passenger killed in Rathdrum crash identified

Monday, June 18 2018 1:53 PM EDT2018-06-18 17:53:47 GMT

RATHDRUM, Idaho - Members of the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office and the Northern Lakes Fire Department responded to a fatal crash in Rathdrum late Saturday morning. A citizen reported that a truck struck a motorcycle carrying two people in the intersection at W. Lancaster Rd. and N. Huetter Rd.

• Spokane employee burglarized at work

Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:56 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:56:23 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash.- A Spokane man says he's learned the hard way to always lock his car, even if it’s just for 20 seconds. James Parker says thieves burglarized his company truck in a matter of minutes. Behind an alleyway at Mattress Firm off of Division by NorthTown Mall, Parker says he was in the store delivering inventory while his co-worker was across the way at Subway to get food.

Mad Minute stories from Monday, June 18th

Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:54 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:54:29 GMT

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Monday, June 18th.

Police seize 2,500 marijuana plants from 6 Tacoma homes

Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:51 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:51:59 GMT

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say eight people have been arrested after police searched six Tacoma houses connected to an illegal marijuana growing operation.    The News Tribune reports authorities seized at least 2,500 marijuana plants from the properties that police searched Monday morning.