Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

LOOKING FOR A HOME? 10 Homes For Sale In Spokane For $125,000

Tuesday, April 15 2014 1:39 PM EDT2014-04-15 17:39:53 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spring is a popular time to purchase and sell a home. Here are 10 homes for sale in Spokane for $125,000. These homes were found on www.WindermereSpokane.com. If you would like more information on any of these homes or would like to schedule a tour, contact your real estate agent with the correct MLS number.>>

SPREAD THE NEWS: WSP Looks For Man Charged With 59 Counts Of Sexual Misconduct With Children

Wednesday, April 16 2014 3:59 PM EDT2014-04-16 19:59:12 GMT
    KHQ.COM - The Washington State Patrol’s Criminal Investigation Division has been assisting Minnesota’s Pine County Sheriff’s Office in attempts to locate a subject charged with 59 felony counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct involving two young females.>>

UPDATE: PHOTOS Of Sex Offenders Who Live In Kootenai County

Wednesday, February 26 2014 6:50 AM EST2014-02-26 11:50:17 GMT
    KHQ.COM - Do you know who lives next to you, or in your neighborhood? KHQ has teamed up with local law enforcement agencies to keep you updated on sex offenders that may be living close to you. The latest photos are from the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office website. All of the offenders have served their time and are not wanted by authorities.>>
    KHQ.COM - Do you know who lives next to you, or in your neighborhood? KHQ has teamed up with local law enforcement agencies to keep you updated on sex offenders that may be living close to you. The latest photos are from the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office website.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

SHRED DAY: 96 Tons Shredded!

Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:45 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:45:28 GMT
    KHQ.COM-We here at KHQ just want to thank AmericanWest Bank and Secure Shred for another successful Shred Day, but we especially want to thank everyone who came out with their sensitive documents to have them shredded!>>
    KHQ.COM-We here at KHQ just want to thank AmericanWest Bank and Secure Shred for another successful Shred Day, but we especially want to thank everyone who came out with their sensitive documents to have them shredded! The totals this go around are astounding! We shredded over 96 tons of documents today at our three locations!>>

Sheriff's Office Still Trying To Identify Woman Found In Spokane River

Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:44 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:44:43 GMT
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Detectives and the Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office are still trying to identify a woman whose body was found in January in the Spokane River.>>
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Detectives and the Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office are still trying to identify a woman whose body was found in January in the Spokane River. On Wednesday, the Sheriff's Office released a computer facial reconstruction rendition of the unidentified woman (attached to this story). >>

UPDATE: Reward Offered For Information In Armed Robbery At North Spokane McDonalds

Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:36 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:36:10 GMT
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward to anyone providing information that leads to the arrest of the man who robbed a McDonald's Tuesday night on Monroe and Francis.>>
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward to anyone providing information that leads to the arrest of the man who robbed a McDonald's Tuesday night on Monroe and Francis. The man walked up to the drive-thru window with a black gun in his hand and grabbed the drawer from the cash register and ran off. Deputies set up a perimeter, but were unable to find the man.>>