Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

Wedding theft turns into prostitution sting

Thursday, October 19 2017 9:16 PM EDT2017-10-20 01:16:10 GMT

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash.- What started as an investigation into two wedding thieves, turned into the discovery of a prostitution operation. You might remember back in August, a couple that crashed a wedding at the Mirabeau Park Hotel. A box filled with wedding gifts and cards were gone. Eventually, Sierra and Josh Davies were arrested for it. Josh remains in the Spokane County Jail, facing 22 charges ranging from theft to money laundering. Sierra is facing brand new charges: prostitution.

Montana hunting group has beef with Arby's venison and elk sandwiches

Friday, October 20 2017 12:08 AM EDT2017-10-20 04:08:56 GMT

BILLINGS, Mont. - A Montana hunting group has beef with a popular fast food restaurant chain. The Montana Wildlife Federation is asking Arby's to reconsider its rollout of limited edition venison and elk sandwiches, which is set to begin Saturday. The elk sandwiches are available at only three locations nationwide, one of which is in Billings. MWF's Executive Director Dave Chadwick explained their issue is with Arby's use of farm-raised

84 Children Rescued, 120 Human Traffickers Arrested Across U.S., FBI Says

Thursday, October 19 2017 7:49 AM EDT2017-10-19 11:49:24 GMT
    NBC NEWS - The FBI rescued 84 children from the grips of a multi-state human trafficking ring and arrested 120 traffickers Wednesday, announcing the successful sting in a statement. Operation Cross Country XI focused the attention of law enforcement agencies on a single goal: taking out "pimps" who run human trafficking rings. "We at the FBI have no greater mission than to protect our nation's children from harm. Unfortunately, the number of traffickers arrested ...>>

Spokane Valley Deputies ask for public's help finding missing child

Friday, October 20 2017 2:30 AM EDT2017-10-20 06:30:04 GMT

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Spokane Valley Sheriff's Deputies are attempting to locate 11-year-old Rylee Jackman who was last ween near 6900 block o E. 4th this afternoon.  Rylee had some problems earlier today and walked away from school.  His father has checked with friends and family but has not been able to locate Rylee and is asking for your help. Rylee is described as a white male, approximately 5’02”, 100 lbs, and was last seen

Mad Minute stories from Thursday, October 19th

Thursday, October 19 2017 5:34 PM EDT2017-10-19 21:34:50 GMT

Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, October 19th.

Fake school bus tries to pick up students in Michigan neighborhoods

Friday, October 20 2017 1:08 AM EDT2017-10-20 05:08:30 GMT

VAN BUREN TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A Michigan school district is warning parents that someone driving an unmarked school bus tried picking up children Thursday in several neighborhoods. Van Buren Public Schools quickly alerted parents about the incident. “Do not allow your students to approach any bus not clearly marked with Van Buren Public Schools on it,” reads the statement posted by Pam Johnson, administrative assistant to the superintendent.