Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

WATCH: Cell Phone Video Of Sinking Ferry Released As 270 Are Still Missing

Friday, April 18 2014 4:21 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:21:35 GMT
    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Searchers have now put markers on the surface of the water where the South Korean ferry went down. Part of the ship had remained above the surface until today, but now the entire vessel is submerged. They're continuing the effort to find some 270 people who are missing and feared dead.>>

Man Identified In Fatal Crash Friday Morning On Bowdish Rd.

Friday, April 18 2014 4:13 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:13:11 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The man killed in an early morning crash on Friday has been identified as 34-year-old, Alejandro E. Apodaca. Just before 12:30, Apodaca crashed his car on S. Bowdish Rd. He was traveling South on Bowdish near 17th when he lost control of his car, uprooting a tree in the front yard of a home.

At Least 13 Sherpas Dead As Avalanche Sweeps Mount Everest

Friday, April 18 2014 12:10 PM EDT2014-04-18 16:10:21 GMT
    KATMANDU, Nepal (AP) - A Nepalese tourism official says six local guides have been killed and nine more are missing after an avalanche swept a route used to ascend the world's highest peak. Nepal Tourism Ministry official Krishna Lamsal says the avalanche hit just below Mount Everest Camp 2 around 6:30 a.m. Friday.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

Students Served Sour Milk At Whitman Elementary

Friday, April 18 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:51:33 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash- Several parents in Spokane were concerned when they heard their kids were served soured milk at Whitman Elementary. The district says it happened on Monday April 14th, 3 parents who spoke with KHQ say it was also served Tuesday before the district was made aware. District leaders say the milk had an expiration date of April 16th but went bad before that date.>>

Spokane Marathoners Travel Cross-Country to Make Boston Even Stronger

Friday, April 18 2014 9:37 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:37:43 GMT
    (KHQ)- "Runners are a breed of their own, they're fighters," explained Heather LeFriec, who runs with the Spokane Swifts, an all-female competitive running club. "If you tell them they can't do something, they'll go do it. They like the challenge, that's mostly why they run."That is why she, and many other runners from Spokane, are not surprised by the fact that this year's Boston Marathon is bigger than ever, with over 36,000 runners participating.>>

Michaels Security Breach: 2.6 Million Shoppers Affected

Friday, April 18 2014 9:11 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:11:17 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - People who shopped at Michaels between May 2013 and January 2014 could be impacted by a security breach that stole nearly 2.6 million shoppers' credit and debit card information. Michaels says it has fixed the problem, so shopping at the stores is no longer an issue.>>