Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

Priest Lake Auction: Saying goodbye to home

Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:50:23 GMT
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - After years of obstacles for 61 Priest Lake lot lessees, the end comes on Thursday, August 28th. >>
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - After years of obstacles for 61 Priest Lake lot lessees, the end comes on Thursday, August 28th. People who have been leasing land from the state, some more than 40 years, will find out if they get to keep their property in an auction.Back in 2010, the State of Idaho decided to divest more than 300 lake lots on Priest Lake.

UPDATE: Joan Rivers 'Resting Comfortably' at Mount Sinai in New York

Friday, August 29 2014 12:45 AM EDT2014-08-29 04:45:02 GMT
    NEW YORK (AP) - Comedian Joan Rivers is in a New York City hospital, according to police and hospital officials who say she was rushed there from a doctor's office after going into cardiac arrest.Rivers' daughter later issued a statement about her mother's condition.>>

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Johnny Depp in Spokane for 'Benny and Joon'

Thursday, August 28 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-08-28 20:06:32 GMT
    KHQ.COM - In the late 80's and early 90's Hollywood came to the Spokane area in a big way. One of the most well known films that was shot in the Lilac city was Benny and Joon. The 1992 movie included Aidan Quinn, Mary Stuart Masterson and Johnny Depp. KHQ was on set for a scene of the movie.
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

PRIEST LAKE AUCTION: Most families retain lots that were in their family for generations

Friday, August 29 2014 2:39 AM EDT2014-08-29 06:39:26 GMT
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho- The Idaho Department of Lands earned nearly $27 million for Idaho's public school system in the Thursday auction of 59 lakefront lots. 58 of the 59 lots sold went to the original land owners. INSIDE: List of auctioned lots and winning bids>>

UPDATE: Joan Rivers 'Resting Comfortably' at Mount Sinai in New York

Friday, August 29 2014 12:45 AM EDT2014-08-29 04:45:02 GMT

UPDATE: Dog shot & killed by Spokane Valley deputy

Thursday, August 28 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-08-29 00:47:57 GMT
    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A Spokane County deputy shot and killed a dog Wednesday afternoon in Spokane Valley after he said the dog attacked him.>>
    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A Spokane County deputy shot and killed a dog Wednesday afternoon in Spokane Valley after he said the dog attacked him. The Sheriff's Office told KHQ the deputy was trying to return property to the home near Sprague and Henry.  INSIDE>>>|RAW INTERVIEW from the dog's owner|>>