Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

Couple arrested in Minnesota, accused of killing Spokane boy

Friday, April 20 2018 11:54 PM EDT2018-04-21 03:54:36 GMT

FERGUS FALLS, Minn. - Two people are in jail In Minnesota tonight, accused of murdering a little boy from Spokane. The little boy, 6-year-old Justis Burland, and his brother had been under their grandmother's care until last summer, when she signed over custody of them to a some old friends of hers in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Last week, police say Burland was taken to the hospital, but he was already dead and showing clear signs that he

State findings show Pasco daycare not responsible for child eyebrow waxing incidents

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:30 AM EDT2018-04-21 05:30:39 GMT
    KNDUKNDU
    KNDUKNDU

PASCO, Wash. - State findings show that a Pasco daycare isn't responsible for a February incident where two mothers claimed the facility waxed their children’s eyebrows without their permission, according to documents obtained by KIMA-TV.  The daycare - a non-profit organization at Columbia Basin College - is licensed by the Washington State Department of Early Learning. The center had been licensed for less than a year, and has had no

Suspect wanted in Deer Park arrested in Stevens County after hours-long manhunt

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:24 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:24:18 GMT

STEVENS COUNTY, Wash. - A manhunt that started in Deer Park has ended in Stevens County. Deputies say a man broke into multiple homes in the area of N. Sherman Rd. and W. Oregon Rd. in Deer Park. When a homeowner confronted him, the burglar punched the man in the face and took off.   Five different agencies joined in the search for him, using a helicopter and K-9's. The huge response paid off; detectives found him and booked him

Parkland shooting survivor speaks in Spokane

Saturday, April 21 2018 2:29 AM EDT2018-04-21 06:29:06 GMT

Spokane, Wash. It's been just over two months since the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. One of the survivors 17-year-old Kai Koerber joined students in Spokane Friday afternoon to share his thoughts about gun violence in schools  "I am here because this is something that reaches across countries so going across the nation is not really a stretch for the depth of this movement," said Kai. Koerber hit many points in his speech...

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:30 AM EDT2018-04-21 05:30:39 GMT
    KNDUKNDU
    KNDUKNDU

Boy's wallet lost in 1972 found behind lockers at Wenatchee pool

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:06 AM EDT2018-04-21 05:06:35 GMT
    Stock imageStock image
    Stock imageStock image
    A wallet lost in 1972 has been found by a work crew in Wenatchee, who is updating part of the City of Wenatchee’s pool facility. According to Wenatchee World, the wallet belongs to Harry LaRue. Inside the worn leather wallet, crews found some family pictures, and a Boy Scout Card. The newspaper estimates that LaRue was about 10 when he lost the wallet and that he lived in East Wenatchee. The wallet was found behind the boys’ lockers at the city pool b...>>