Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.>>

Homeowner shoots man who refused to leave his property

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:19 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:19:45 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A homeowner shot a man who police say was on his property and refused to leave. It happened Saturday night around 11:30 in the evening in a neighborhood on the South Hill near Lincoln Park. Neighbors say it all happened pretty quickly.>>

Fatal motorcycle collision on SR 291

Saturday, July 26 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-07-26 22:53:01 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The collision on SR 291 near mile post 9 is now fatal according to Sacred Heart Hospital.A 17 year old female was driving in a four car sedan that was in the northbound lane going southbound when it struck the motorcycle head on.62 year old Robert White was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. He was wearing a helmet.>>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

Crews make progress in Carlton Complex fire

Sunday, July 27 2014 11:57 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:57:54 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - Officials say firefighting crews are making progress against Washington's largest wildfire, saying the 390-square-mile fire in the north-central part of the state is now almost 60 percent contained.The progress at the Carlton complex fire comes as temperatures begin to rise, with the possibility of triple digit temperatures next week. >>

KHQ Special: 'Behind the Fire Lines'

Sunday, July 27 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:46:01 GMT
    KHQ.COM - For over a week, we've heard hundreds of heartbreaking stories from people who have lost everything, to those who refuse to let the firestorm break their spirits. From communities rallying together, to the heroes on the front lines, all that and more inside "Beyond the Fire Lines." If you missed it you can check out the videos inside this article.>>

Therapeutic bacteria’s ability to prevent obesity

Sunday, July 27 2014 10:10 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:10:46 GMT
    (KHQ MD)- An exciting new study is showing some very promising hope in the fight against obesity. A scientist at Vanderbilt is creating a bacteria that acts as a therapeutic compound in the gut preventing weight gain, even in high-fat diets.>>