Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

100+ salons in Washington state have license, sanitation or safety violations

Thursday, April 26 2018 11:16 PM EDT2018-04-27 03:16:32 GMT

KHQ.COM - More than 100 nail salons in Washington state recently failed safety and sanitation inspections from the Washington State Department of Licensing. If you think these salons are required to post these violations publicly, think again. Unlike restaurants, there's no letter grade at the door that can tell you if the services inside have been deemed safe.

Police: Driver was going 2x the speed limit in deadly crash

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:12 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:12:50 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - What sounded like an accident has now led to charges against the woman who was behind the wheel. The driver of Tuesday night's deadly crash is being investigated for DUI and vehicular homicide. Detectives say around 9:30 p.m. a man was struck and killed by a driver as he tried to cross the street near 3rd and Liberty Park Place.   Court documents released Wednesday show that the driver, 50-year-old Tamila Lindsly,

PHOTOS: All lanes of I-90 reopen after semi-truck loses load in downtown Spokane

Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:25 PM EDT2018-04-25 22:25:01 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Jim Martin Trucking LLC out of Hayden, Idaho confirmed with KHQ the driver of the semi-truck involved in Wednesday's crash on I-90 in downtown Spokane is okay and is cooperating with Troopers. The driver, who was hauling crushed cars, says he was cut off by another car, which he says started the chain reaction that caused the crash.

Police search for Spokane construction site thief caught on camera

Friday, April 27 2018 2:06 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:06:10 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say the rise in temperatures means more construction. It also mean a rise in crime. Construction sites are often easy targets. "Most people are going to assume that there isn't going to anyone working at a construction site late at night," said Officer Josh Laiva with the Spokane Police Department.  Most sites have fences, lights, surveillance cameras and even security guards, but even all that doesn't always stop thieves.

Top education official meets with Idaho students to discuss school safety

Friday, April 27 2018 12:49 AM EDT2018-04-27 04:49:18 GMT
    Superintendent of Public Instruction Sherri Ybarra paid a visit to Lake City High School yesterday to meet with the same students who organized last week’s panel discussions to continue the conversation regarding school safety. Students raised a variety of questions to the superintendent ranging from what’s being done at the local and state level to make schools safe; as well as the on-going topic of mental health. Ybarra says the new initiative that she’s proposed...>>

3-year-old run over, killed by lawnmower near Snohomish

Friday, April 27 2018 12:30 AM EDT2018-04-27 04:30:20 GMT

SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. - A 3-year-old boy died Thursday evening after the toddler was run over by a lawnmower near Snohomish. According to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office, the child was riding on his father's lap when he fell off and went under the lawnmower.  He was pronounced dead at the scene.  Deputies said they're seeing this as an accident.  According to deputies, the father wasn't under any influence.  Responding to a