Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.

Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.

Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.

Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.

He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

Spokane chef gets stolen car, knife back

Saturday, October 21 2017 12:25 AM EDT2017-10-21 04:25:18 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - It's been a tough week for Keegan Jones. Last Friday his Mazda Protege was stolen. Leaving him depending on friends to help get to work. Not only was his car stolen, but something else he relies on for his livelihood.

Spokane police investigating body found in dumpster

Friday, October 20 2017 6:54 PM EDT2017-10-20 22:54:15 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police say they are investigating an unattended death after they responded to a report of a deceased woman found in a dumpster of a business in the 2900 block of E. 27th Ave. Friday morning. Spokane Police Officers and Major Crimes Unit (MCU) Detectives responded to the scene for the investigation around 9:30 a.m.

Idaho woman arrested following death of 20-month-old child

Saturday, October 21 2017 5:27 PM EDT2017-10-21 21:27:17 GMT

TWIN FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Police have arrested a south-central Idaho woman following the death of her 20-month-old child. Authorities arrested 22-year-old Amanda Dunlap of Twin Falls in Boise on Friday and booked her into the Ada County Jail.

Engagement rings survive California wildfire

Saturday, October 21 2017 8:31 PM EDT2017-10-22 00:31:53 GMT

SONOMA, Calif. - When a Sonoma County couple went back to check on their home after the wildfires,  it was gone. Bu they found something much more important to their hearts. Amid all the rubble and ash, the Brinkerhoffs found a symbol of their love.

Maine football coach dismissed after encouraging team to taunt opposing player

Saturday, October 21 2017 8:05 PM EDT2017-10-22 00:05:53 GMT

GRAY, Maine - A high school varsity football coach in Maine has been dismissed after he allegedly told his players to taunt an opposing player for having two mothers as parents.  Lynn and Stephanie Eckersley-Ray say that Coach Duane Greaton told his players to taunt their son every time he was tackled last Friday by saying, "Who's your daddy?"

Kootenai County Sheriff's Office arrests fugitive for trafficking drugs

Saturday, October 21 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-10-21 23:35:32 GMT

POST FALLS, Idaho - On October 19th, 2017 at approximately 10:22 AM, two Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office Deputies observed two people trying to cross the road on W. Seltice Way near N. Corbin Rd outside a crosswalk. The two people were almost struck by three separate vehicles.