Man Accused Of Dismembering, Cooking Wife Dies In Jail - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Man Accused Of Dismembering, Cooking Wife Dies In Jail

Posted: Updated:

NBCNEWS.COM - An Oceanside man accused in the grisly murder of his wife – which allegedly included dismembering her and cooking her body parts on the stove – recently died in jail, the San Diego District Attorney's office confirmed.

Frederick Hengl, 69, died of cancer on Sept. 27 while awaiting trial behind bars, according to DA spokesperson Steve Walker. His hearings had been postponed several times due to his illness and ongoing treatment.

Most recently, his preliminary hearing had been set for Nov. 18 – almost one year to the date of his arrest. Hengl was taken into custody on November 16, 2012, after his wife, 73-year-old Anna Faris, was found dead inside their home in the 400-block of North Ditmar Street. Neighbors reported a foul odor coming from the residence.

Initially, some neighbors believed the overwhelming stench may have been coming from a dead animal. When officers entered the home, they found the dismembered remains of Faris – who had likely been dead for weeks – cooking in pans in the kitchen.

The heat on the stove was still on when authorities entered the home, according to a complaint read by Katherine Flaherty, Deputy District Attorney with the County of San Diego.

Investigators had to wear masks while collecting evidence, officials said. Investigators also found Faris' head in the freezer and a work bench used for the mutilation in the bathroom. Near the work bench, investigators discovered a saw, a boning knife, other cutting tools and pieces of bone in a plastic bag.

Officials said there was no evidence of cannibalism, despite the gruesome scene. Hengl was located by police in downtown Oceanside that same night. He voluntarily went to police headquarters for questioning. After his interviews with police, he was arrested on suspicion of his wife's murder.

Prosecutors would later say they believed Hengl killed his wife between Nov. 1 and Nov. 16, and then began dismembering her body bit by bit. On November 21, 2012, Hengl appeared in court and pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and committing and unlawful act with human remains. At that point, his bail was set at $5 million.

Police said they were familiar with the Oceanside couple, but had never been called to their home for domestic disturbances. However, last November, neighbors told NBC 7 that the couple was known around the neighborhood for some unusual tendencies.

One resident said Hengl allegedly dressed up like a woman and walked around the neighborhood while Faris, according to the neighbor, would sometimes stand on the street with a knife. The couple did not have any children, officials said.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • NEW INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believed to be human caused

    NEW INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believed to be human caused

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:58 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:58:17 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Qualchan Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.>>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Qualchan Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.>>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.>>
  • WILDFIRE WATCH 2014: DNR tackling new wildfire near Tonasket

    WILDFIRE WATCH 2014: DNR tackling new wildfire near Tonasket

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:03 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:03:06 GMT
    TONASKET, Wash.- The Department of Natural Resources says they are battling a new wildfire northeast of Wauconda and Tonasket. The fire broke out on Tuesday, July 29th and is called the "Torado Mountain" wildfire. DNR crews are attacking this fire from the ground and air.
    >>
    TONASKET, Wash.- The Department of Natural Resources says they are battling a new wildfire northeast of Wauconda and Tonasket. The fire broke out on Tuesday, July 29th and is called the "Torado Mountain" wildfire. DNR crews are attacking this fire from the ground and air.
    >>
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-07-27 14:36:04 GMT
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.>>
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.>>
  • Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:55:02 GMT
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.>>
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.>>
  • 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:19 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:19:11 GMT
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.>>
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.>>