Loon Lake Food Bank Needs Help This Holiday Season - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Loon Lake Food Bank Needs Help This Holiday Season

The Loon Lake Food Bank is looking for some extra donations this holiday season The Loon Lake Food Bank is looking for some extra donations this holiday season
LOON LAKE, Wash. -

The Loon Lake Food Bank says more families need help putting food on the table this holiday season than ever before.

Items like cranberry sauce, stuffing, and dinner rolls are Thanksgiving staples for most of us. However, there are families struggling to put items like those on the table.

"I know a lot of families that are not going to have a turkey," said Loretta Corter, who uses the food bank once a week.

Loretta is a single mom with three kids. For the past four years, the Loon Lake Food Bank is the only thing that has helped her keep food on the table.

"It's a lifesaver," Loretta said. "Without them sometimes even my family can't eat."

With the holidays fast approaching, even the smallest food items are a blessing.

"A loaf of bread makes a difference between having food that day and having nothing," Loretta said.

Looking at the nearly empty shelves in the food bank, it is clear the need this year is huge.

"It's usually a lot fuller," said the Loon Lake Food Bank Resource Officer Gin Waldo. "We had a lot of people in and donations have been down. We haven't been getting in as much bread and sweets as we usually get in."

Even the supply in the back is down to the bare minimum.

"As you can see, it's very, very, very empty," Waldo said.

Empty, because the families who need the help just keep coming.

"We average 350 families a week, this is families not people," Waldo said.

"This the most people we've ever had, it's kind of scary," said the Loon Lake Food Bank Director Sarah Nelson. "It takes a lot of food to feed that many people in a month."

The food bank is already out of holiday items like stuffing and cranberries, but handing out turkeys was never even an option.

"We give people notices starting the 1st of November that there will be no turkeys," Nelson said. "I call it my no turkey notice."

However, no matter what food ends up in the donation boxes, families still plan to celebrate the holiday around the dinner table.

"We're going to have one, but it won't be one like we normally have, but we'll be together," Loretta said.

Earlier this month the food bank's truck broke down. Without it, they were not even able to pick up bread for the families in need. They had no choice but to buy a new truck. However, with the added expense, things are even tighter this year.

If you would like to help, they say they will take anything you can give. Donating money is the best though because the food bank can stretch the dollar much further than the average person can at the grocery store.

A pet translator could be available in the next 10 years

Tuesday, January 16 2018 12:24 AM EST2018-01-16 05:24:08 GMT

What's the first thing you would do if you had a pet translator and you could understand your dog or cat? I'd probably immediately let my cat know how sorry I am for stepping on her tail all those times. Recent advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning suggest the dream of communicating with your pets could become a reality.

Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:09 AM EST2018-01-16 07:09:07 GMT

PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

Intoxicated driver ditches stolen car after crashing into 6 vehicles downtown

Monday, January 15 2018 8:25 PM EST2018-01-16 01:25:56 GMT

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police responded to downtown Spokane Monday afternoon for a reported crash. The crash involved several vehicles and a drunk man taking off on foot, leaving his stolen vehicle behind. It happened around 1 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Main and Lincoln for a crash. As officers started to arrive in the area, they learned that the man who caused the crash was leaving the scene on foot.

Brother of Spokane Valley man who drove into Hayden Lake speaks

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:59 PM EST2018-01-17 02:59:29 GMT

HAYDEN, Idaho - He was a brother, son, father and loved by many. 34-year-old Christopher Lancaster lost his life tragically after crashing his car into Hayden Lake over the weekend. Now his family wants his memory to live on. Chris' brother, Dustin, say Chris had just gotten a new IT job on Friday. Now he leaves behind two sons.

Potholes damage your car? You can file a claim but you probably won’t collect

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:21 PM EST2018-01-17 02:21:32 GMT

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Brenna Meredith described the feeling like being in a car accident. “I couldn’t avoid it and my car just thumped on the ground,” said Meredith. “And I was like oh my gosh that’s not good.” Meredith wasn’t in a car accident, she ran over a massive pothole on Regal St. near 57th Ave. “I broke my rim, I broke a piece of my bumper off, all the air was instantly gone out of my tire,”

New California? Longshot bid would split state in 2

Tuesday, January 16 2018 9:12 PM EST2018-01-17 02:12:10 GMT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A fresh effort is underway to split California into multiple states, one including its coastal cities and the other its rural and inland areas.    "New California" is just the latest proposal to divvy up the nation's most populous state. But like efforts before it, it's highly unlikely to gain significant traction.