Knox Judge Faces Allegations Of Impropriety - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Knox Judge Faces Allegations Of Impropriety

  • Also on KHQ.comMore>>

  • Italy Court: Knox And Kercher Fought Before Murder

    Italy Court: Knox And Kercher Fought Before Murder

    Tuesday, April 29 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-04-29 15:39:40 GMT
    Tuesday, April 29 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-04-29 15:39:40 GMT
    MILAN (AP) - An Italian court that convicted Amanda Knox in her roommate's 2007 murder says the wounds indicate multiple aggressors, and that the two exchange students fought over money the night of the murder. The appellate court in Florence on Tuesday issued a 337-page explanation for its January guilty verdicts against the American and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.>>
    MILAN (AP) - An Italian court that convicted Amanda Knox in her roommate's 2007 murder says the wounds indicate multiple aggressors, and that the two exchange students fought over money the night of the murder. The appellate court in Florence on Tuesday issued a 337-page explanation for its January guilty verdicts against the American and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.
    >>
MILAN (AP) - The judge who announced the guilty verdicts against Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito for murder is facing allegations of impropriety that could result in disciplinary proceedings.
    
Defense lawyers for Sollecito,  Knox's co-defendant, said Monday they will request disciplinary action against Florence Judge Alessandro Nencini as a result of comments the presiding appellate court judge made on Sollecito's defense strategy to Italian media following Thursday's guilty verdict - and that the comments could form part of their planned appeal of the verdict.
    
"This is not a vendetta because a judge handed down a sentence other than what we expected," defense lawyer Luca Maori said by telephone on Monday.  Maori said Sollecito's defense will ask the the magistrate's governing body, the Judicial Ministry, and Italy's supreme Court of Cassation to take disciplinary action, calling the comments on defense strategy a "serious" breach.
    
Knox defense lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said in an emailed statement that the interviews were "not appropriate," but he reserved comment on any action until the court's reasoning for the verdict is issued, expected within 90 days of the sentence. Knox's defense also is planning to appeal the verdict.
    
"Amanda Knox is respecting the decision of last week," Dalla Vedova said. "She feels that it is a mistake and she will continue fighting for her innocence."
    
Members of the magistrate's governing body also said they will request an inquiry, saying Nencini had violated the secrecy of deliberations, anticipated arguments in the yet-published reasoning,  and made comments on the defense trial strategy that suggest "partiality," the news agency ANSA reported.
    
Disciplinary measures could include transfer or monetary penalties.
    
Nencini was the presiding judge on a panel that deliberated for nearly 12 hours on Thursday before upholding a lower-court's guilty finding against Knox, 26, and Sollecito, 29, in the 2007 murder of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher.  Kercher, who shared an apartment with Knox in the university town of Perugia, had been sexually assaulted and her throat slit. The case made its way to a second appeal after Italy's highest court had vacated a Perugia appellate court's 2011 acquittal, challenging its failure to include some evidence as well as its logic.
    
Knox, who got news of the verdict at home in Seattle, has maintained her innocence.
    
In his ruling, Nencini did not issue any precautionary measures against Knox, noting she was legitimately in the United States. He ordered Sollecito's passport be revoked.
    
In comments published on Saturday, Nencini told the Corriere della Sera and il Messagero newspapers that the judicial reasoning will comment on why the court decided not to separate the positions of Knox and Sollecito in their deliberations and verdict.
    
Nencini said one clear difference in the Knox and Sollecito defenses is that Sollecito had never been questioned directly, besides during the investigation, noting that it was never requested even by the prosecution, according to il Messagero.  "The ability not to be heard in a trial is a right, but it deprives the subject of a voice," il Messagero quoted Nencini as saying.
    
Sollecito's defense lawyer, Giulia Bongiorno, had requested in her closing argument that the jury not consider Sollecito as an extension of Knox, but look at him in his own right.  The two defense teams, nonetheless, remained very close in their arguments, maintaining a common alibi that the couple had spent the night of the murder together in Sollecito's apartment.
    
Nencini on Monday denied having made any judgment on the defendants' legal strategy. "If my words generated a misunderstanding about the absolute legitimacy of the choice of a defendant to make voluntary statements, I regret it," the news agency ANSA quoted him as saying.

    
He said he had spoken "casually" with journalists he ran into in tribunal corridors and who had presented him with "rumors and inferences" about the deliberations.
    
"My intention was to clear up possible misunderstandings," Nencini was quoted as saying.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    >>
  • Man charged with attempted murder in baseball bat assault at local business

    Man charged with attempted murder in baseball bat assault at local business

    Thursday, August 17 2017 7:26 AM EDT2017-08-17 11:26:52 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman is recovering at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries after being assaulted by a man with a baseball bat at a local business Wednesday evening. The suspect, 41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm, has been charged with 2nd degree attempted murder among other charges. 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman is recovering at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries after being assaulted by a man with a baseball bat at a local business Wednesday evening. The suspect, 41-year-old Jeremy Lindholm, has been charged with 2nd degree attempted murder among other charges. 

    >>
  • If you received an annoying robocall offering a free cruise, you might be entitled to at least $300, possibly $900

    If you received an annoying robocall offering a free cruise, you might be entitled to at least $300, possibly $900

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 4:18 PM EDT2017-08-16 20:18:16 GMT

    NEW YORK - Have you received an annoying robocall saying you won a free cruise? That phone call could get you up to $900 thanks for a recent class action lawsuit.  The lawsuit claims Resort Marketing Group (RMG), a third-party travel agency, made pre-recorded robocalls from July 2009 to March 2014 offering free cruises with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line.

    >>

    NEW YORK - Have you received an annoying robocall saying you won a free cruise? That phone call could get you up to $900 thanks for a recent class action lawsuit.  The lawsuit claims Resort Marketing Group (RMG), a third-party travel agency, made pre-recorded robocalls from July 2009 to March 2014 offering free cruises with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line.

    >>
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

    Good Samaritans save woman from verbal attack on Centennial Trail

    Friday, August 18 2017 2:37 AM EDT2017-08-18 06:37:45 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other 

    >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Evanlene Melting Tallow wanted to hit the centennial trail for a bike ride and train for her next cycling event. When she got to the end of the trail near Argonne road in Spokane Valley, what happened next left her in shock.   "He looked up and as soon as he seen me oh my gosh he started yelling at me started calling me a C*** and telling me to learn English and go back where I came from and a piece of dirt and all this other 

    >>
  • Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

    Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th

    Thursday, August 17 2017 5:45 PM EDT2017-08-17 21:45:30 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

    >>

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, August 17th.

    >>
  • Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

    Family holds Christmas early for father with terminal cancer

    Friday, August 18 2017 1:15 AM EDT2017-08-18 05:15:03 GMT
    Courtesy Becky Odum's Facebook pageCourtesy Becky Odum's Facebook page

     FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their 

    >>

     FRISCO, Tex. - A Frisco, Texas family is having Christmas early this year, after receiving some unfortunate news- David Odum, husband and father, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. According to Fox 4 News, the family has issued an online challenge, met by supporters across the globe.    David's wife Becky got out the Christmas decorations and took to Facebook to share David's diagnosis, asking for family and friends to hang up their 

    >>