KEEPING VIGIL: The Sheriff's Chaplain - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

KEEPING VIGIL: The Sheriff's Chaplain

Curt Quashnick serves as the Head Chaplain for the Spokane County Sheriff's Department Curt Quashnick serves as the Head Chaplain for the Spokane County Sheriff's Department
SPOKANE, Wash. - There's no question law enforcement is a tough job. Statistics show a 25 year career in law enforcement is like being a combat veteran for 3-5 years.

That is why the Chaplaincy program is so important. In this Keeping Vigil, you'll meet a man who says it is only by the grace of God that he's here helping others.

"I'm here today because God took compassion on me. I was one of the guys who was not doing well eventually. I became very angry in police work. I took it out on a lot of people on the streets. I took it out on a lot of people around me. There were very few people that talked to me," Spokane County Sheriff's Chaplain Curt Quashnick told KHQ's Stephanie Vigil.

Quashnick had seen a lot in his 30 years as a Sheriff's Deputy.

"When I'm on the way to a call, I think how am I going to get there, what's traffic like, what am I going to find when I get there?" Quashnick recalled during his interview.

The uncertainty took its toll, and the pressure almost ruined him.

"I was so down and I was such a pathetic person at that time that I needed to cling to something and I found my lord and savior. Turning to him has meant everything. I'm alive today because of that."

He's alive and helping others as the Head Chaplain for the Spokane Sheriff's Department.

"What we try and do is meet the emotional and the spiritual and the physical needs. Law enforcement is a tough line of work the divorce rate is very high among police officers."

Being on the force himself he can relate to what these officers live through.

"When you get in that car you are always up. It has a physiological effect with adrenaline and other chemicals in your body. You are always prepared to react to something that may possibly happen. It may never happen but you still need to be ready," Quashnick said.

Whatever the circumstances, the Chaplains that volunteer their time, and do it out of devotion.

The other side of the job as Chaplain is to deliver news to survivors of tragedy.

"I always say a prayer that I'd be able to give a message to somebody. It's a bad message to give. It's probably the worst message that you hear most of the tie. Especially involving younger people," Quashnick said.

He is familiar with pain, and he's seen the world change, but this has become his life's calling

"I'm out there to try and help people in a hard time. If they ask me how my faith becomes involved I'll be more than glad to share that with them. I have a hope in my faith that I don't think I could get through a lot of stuff if I didn't have that. If you look at the world, it's a pretty sad."

Quashnick said that aside from the Lord, he leans on his wife.

"My wife is my buddy. She's the reason I get up in the morning. She's my friend and my confidant."

PHOTOS: Priest Lake lots auctioned off

Thursday, August 28 2014 8:46 PM EDT2014-08-29 00:46:58 GMT
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - 61 cottages sites on Priest Lake were auctioned off in Coeur d'Alene on Thursday. >>
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - 61 cottages sites on Priest Lake were auctioned off in Coeur d'Alene on Thursday. For years, those already living on the sites leased the land from the State of Idaho, but the State was looking to sell. Residents already living on the sites showed up on Thursday to buy them back, and many were successful.

Viral Video: Little boy's hysterical response to mother's pregnancy

Friday, August 29 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-08-29 14:29:39 GMT
    KHQ.COM - When Shanee Gibson Hart of Fort Lewis, Washington, shared the news about her pregnancy with her son, Tré, she thought he would be thrilled. Instead, his reaction was a little different than expected. "This is exasperating!" Tré exclaimed. "Why you want to get another baby?...That doesn't make no sense!">>

Priest Lake Auction: Saying goodbye to home

Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:50:23 GMT
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - After years of obstacles for 61 Priest Lake lot lessees, the end comes on Thursday, August 28th. >>
    PRIEST LAKE, Idaho - After years of obstacles for 61 Priest Lake lot lessees, the end comes on Thursday, August 28th. People who have been leasing land from the state, some more than 40 years, will find out if they get to keep their property in an auction.Back in 2010, the State of Idaho decided to divest more than 300 lake lots on Priest Lake.
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

All WA, ID, MT, Albertsons stores affected by security breach

Friday, August 29 2014 7:37 PM EDT2014-08-29 23:37:54 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Earlier this month Albertsons announced a data breach affecting customers who shopped in their stores any time between June 22, 2014 and July 17, 2014. >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Earlier this month Albertsons announced a data breach affecting customers who shopped in their stores any time between June 22, 2014 and July 17, 2014. Before Friday, it was unclear which stores were impacted, but fraud investigators with AB Acquisition LLC, the company Albertsons is using to provide complimentary consumer identity protection services to customers, says that the breach impacts all stores in Washington, Idaho, and Montana.>>

PHOTOS: Hobo Spider season has arrived

Friday, August 29 2014 5:37 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:37:17 GMT
    KHQ.COM - Mid August is about the time that we start to see spiders come into our homes, particularly the hobo spider. August and September is mating season for the hobo and that means you may be seeing more funnel-like webs in and around your home. Males are on a mission to find a female which is why they are a lot more active at this time.>>

Scam Phone Calls Continue; IRS Identifies Five Easy Ways to Spot Suspicious Calls

Friday, August 29 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-08-29 19:22:12 GMT
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - The following was sent out by the Internal Revenue Service:The Internal Revenue Service issued a consumer alert today providing taxpayers with additional tips to protect themselves from telephone scam artists calling and pretending to be with the IRS. >>
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - The following was sent out by the Internal Revenue Service:The Internal Revenue Service issued a consumer alert today providing taxpayers with additional tips to protect themselves from telephone scam artists calling and pretending to be with the IRS. These callers may demand money or may say you have a refund due and try to trick you into sharing private information. >>